The Child Protection & Advocacy Specialist provides technical support to ChildFund´s child protection portfolio in the country, in development and emergency contexts. The Specialist works collaboratively with national and international colleagues and partners in support of strong core program design, implementation, evaluation and learning in line with ChildFund’s theory of change, program strategies and standards for child protection in all three Life Stages for children. The post holder also serves as the CO lead in the development and execution of the advocacy strategy and plan.
Child Protection Expertise
- Positions ChildFund as a significant lead organization on child protection issues. Child rights and protection situation analysis, portfolio review on aspects of child protection and leads the development of CO program approaches within the theory of change, program models and ChildFund international’s strategy related to child protection and ensure regular follow up and feedback
- Maintain strong relationship with government institutions working on child protection and keep abreast of development in the subject to feed the ChildFund child protection program
- Facilitates/promotes/lead child protection networks in alliance with local governments, institutions and organizations. Engages with partners to ensure that context specific CP issues are addressed through their interventions,
- Support partners to ensure that community-based child protection mechanisms are in place and linked to formal child protection system in line with national policies and standards, in communities where ChildFund supports core outcomes for children.
- Building the capacity of the local partners and ChildFund staff on child protection related areas and ensure that all staff follow child safeguard policies and practices
- As needed, deploys to emergency responses and work closely with response teams in Country Office to establish child protection responses through coordination, assessment, proposal development, program startup and evaluation.
Develop and execute Country Office advocacy strategy
- The post provides leadership in identifying the CO’s advocacy issue/focus, developing and implementing the local advocacy strategy and plan based on the contextual analysis, and aimed at policy creation, change and implementation.
- Represents the organization at strategic networks and coalitions, making visible the CO’s programmatic interventions and policy advocacy issues. Work with the Senior Management Team in conceptualizing and executing strategic events to advance the CO’s policy agenda.
- Keep abreast of other similar organizations’ advocacy involvements and capitalise such opportunities for partnerships and networking to enhance ChildFund advocacy work
- In coordination with the Senior Management Team, the position will provide inputs in developing policy recommendations, and work with the Communication team in developing, producing and disseminating position statements, policy briefs, Audio-visual and collateral materials, infographics, etc.
- Supports the development of relevant knowledge and skills of staff to contribute in advancing the CO’s policy advocacy efforts and initiatives. Work with the partnership portfolio team to build and strengthen the partners’ competencies in developing and implementing influential policy advocacy work; specially with child and youth advocates
- The position will assist the Senior Management Team in monitoring the execution of Country Office advocacy plan following the standard practices and take corrective actions as appropriate
- Regular communication with IO and CO Advocacy group to share lesson learnt and good practices and well informed of the global trends around child protection advocacy
Grant Acquisition and Management
- Identification, development and maintenance of relationships with current and prospective donors and corporate partners especially as it relates to Child Protection and the CO’s advocacy strategic plan.
- Development of contents for corporate partnerships and on child protection and advocacy
- As needed, participates on proposal development teams, including preparation of technical proposals, capacity statements, and concept notes as they pertain to child protection and advocacy-centered projects.
- Development of staff skills on child protection in general and staff knowledge and accountability on child safeguarding standards, in line with ChildFund’s safeguarding policy and procedures. Engagement with partners to ensure their understanding of ChildFund’s child safeguarding policy and standards
- Ensure that all implementing partners have their own standards and procedures to ensure child safeguarding in their programming and operations
- Remain alert and responsive to any child safeguarding risks, acquire relevant knowledge and skills which will enable you to promote strong safeguarding practices, understand the child safeguarding policy and procedures, and conduct yourself in a manner consistent with the Child Safeguarding Policy.
- Child Protection focal point and follows-up on all complaints received, to ensure appropriate measures are taken per ChildFund’s policies and country’s legal framework. Investigation supports decision-making and implementation of appropriate actions in case, on violations in child safeguarding standards by staff or partner organizations.
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Work with KML Officer to develop learning and knowledge products in relation to child protection and policy- advocacy that meet the standards and enable organization-wide learning and sharing by documenting approaches, project and program designs and lessons, case studies and other knowledge products. Seek and leverage existing knowledge products in order to increase efficiency and effectiveness.
- At least 5 years of experience results-based child protection program design, implementation and/or evaluation in relation to community-based and/or national child protection systems and stakeholders
- In-depth understanding of in country child protection legal frameworks, situation, mechanism, issues and services.
- Proven ability to provide high quality child protection technical assistance, guidance, and coaching to field-based implementing staff and partners.
- Knowledge of government policies, laws, and systems that impact the rights and well-being of children.
- Proven excellent communication, networking, presentation, public-speaking and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated success in proposal development and writing including technical design, strategies, and narratives.
- English proficiency. Proficiency in local language will be an added advantage.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in relevant area required. Equivalent relevant work experience may be acceptable in lieu of degree
The Child Protection Specialist can draw on the support of global team members in the development of his/her responsibilities. Preferably, these global team members provide input into recruitment, performance planning and evaluation. The primary global team members for this position will be:
- Program and Partnership: Senior Advisor Child Protection and Country Advocacy Coordinador
- Global Operations: Senior Advisor Child Protection in Emergency
ChildFund International is committed to safeguarding the interests, rights, and well-being of children with whom it is in contact and to conducting its programs and operations in a manner that is safe for children.
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.