SNV is a not-for-profit international development organisation that applies practical know-how to make a lasting difference in the lives of people living in poverty. We use our extensive and long-term in-country presence to apply and adapt our top-notch expertise in agriculture, energy and WASH to local contexts. SNV has over 1250 staff in more than 25 countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America. We are proud to be a not-for-profit organisation that uses project financing to implement our mission. This requires us to work efficiently and to invest in operational excellence.
In its new Strategic Plan period (2019 – 2022), SNV will more explicitly aim for systems change during project preparation and implementation – by strengthening institutions and kick-starting markets that help many more to escape poverty beyond our projects. We will continue to position ourselves as a premium organisation and invest in making knowledge flow to and from the frontline.
Our global team of local and international advisors works with local partners to equip communities, businesses and organisations with the tools, knowledge and connections they need to increase their incomes and gain access to basic services – empowering them to break the cycle of poverty and guide their own development.
For more information on SNV, visit our website: www.snv.org
SNV is looking to recruit a Chief Technical Adviser / Team Leader (subject to contract award) to oversee the implementation of an upcoming international donor funded development project in water supply, sanitation and hygiene in Nepal. The Project is envisioned to strengthen the capacity of local governments to deliver services in water supply and sanitation to all, including menstruating women. The Project expected impact is to improve the health status and progress towards equal rights to water, sanitation and hygiene of people, and women and girls in particular in the selected intervention municipalities and outside. To reach the targets, the project intervention is built under the following four topics and result areas:
• WASH governance at local level
• Water supply
• Sanitation and hygiene
• Sector support and enabling environment
The Team Leader / CTA will be responsible for overall design and management of the project and for the implementation of activities related to the project delivery including staff management, project planning, budgeting, implementation, evaluation, and supporting donor reporting.
S/he will provide technical leadership on overall strategic development as well as specific technical inputs for all project activities linked to the project outcomes. S/he will be responsible for supporting a range of assessments related to gender, social inclusive, governance, health and/or climate change, and for strengthening the local level authorities on technical WASH themes and evidence-based process in project development. S/he will be well informed about and contribute to relevant international knowledge networks and lead the development of quality knowledge products through the project learnings and their dissemination through different channels together with knowledge partners and senior advisors.
· Be responsible for the human, material and financial resources to implement the project;
· Develop work plans, budgets and competence table with financial responsibilities and mandates;
· Ensure the quality performance of the project in terms of achieving strategic and operational results of the program and contribute to further build upon WASH sector nationally and within SNV;
· Prepare necessary manuals and guidelines needed to operate and manage the project support team;
· Develop performance monitoring criteria and conduct performance evaluation of staff on annual basis, and if necessary, decide on necessary actions;
· Provide training and develop staff and implementing partner capacities in project implementation;
· Coordinate and compile financial and progress reports;
· Prepare Terms of Reference and propose experts for international short term and national short and long-term consultants;
· Manage the funds allocated for the capacity building and monitor the use of investment and operational funds used at the municipal level;
· Develop the required networks with national and sub-national stakeholders including government, INGOs and development partners, local NGOs, private sector, and special interest groups.
Master’s degree in Water Supply and Sanitation, Civil Engineering, Environmental Science, Social Science or another relevant field.
Required professional Experience and expertise
· Minimum 5 years relevant international working experience;
· Demonstrated experience in leading multidisciplinary teams in short or long-term assignments in developing countries;
· Experience in project cycle management in donor supported programmes in Asia;
· Prior knowledge of Nepalese development and social context will be an advantage;
· Experience in rural water supply and sanitation in developing countries;
· Demonstrated ability to build and maintain relationships with government representatives, donors, other donor-funded projects and other stakeholders;
· Experience in capacity building and training;
· Good intercultural and communication skills;
· Capacity and ability to promote gender equality and social inclusion;
· Fluency in written and spoken English (Finnish language is considered a plus);
· Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills;
· High professional integrity and proven ability to work in difficult conditions.
Contract Type: International
Contract Duration: 4 years (10.5 months/year)
Expected Start Date: June 2020 subject to bid success
Information Duty Station: Nepal
Working at SNV
SNV offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package. We offer a challenging work environment, opportunities to lead and innovate, and a commitment to growing your skills in a fulfilling and diverse working environment. Our staff benefit from, and contribute to, an internal global network of WASH experts. For more information, please visit our website: http://www.snv.org
How to Apply
If you believe that your credentials meet the outlined profile, we invite you to apply by uploading your CV and letter of motivation indicating salary expectations by clicking on the “I’m interested” button.
All information will be in the strictest confidence. We will revert to you as soon as feasible when we have reviewed your application.
– We do not appreciate third-party mediation based on this advertisement –