To act in partnership with the President as a key leader and strategic advisor with responsibility for 1) providing oversight of the Institute’s managerial, operational, and program support functions, 2) leading or co-leading strategic projects and initiatives, and 3) assisting the President in ensuring NDI’s internal effectiveness through planning, performance metrics, resource allocation, and the development and execution of efficient operational processes, strategies, and communications. The incumbent also serves as a member of NDI’s Executive Team with leadership responsibilities for establishing strategic priorities and guiding NDI toward their achievement, as well as ensuring integrated/aligned decision-making, and efficient resource allocations across teams.
- Advance the President’s vision by promoting and reinforcing a performance culture and the attainment of institutional goals that leverage NDI’s vision, mission, and values.
- Serve as member of Executive Team leadership to develop NDI’s strategy, goals, and objectives, and align overall management of the organization to achieve them.
- Advise President on issues related to overall organizational health, including developing and implementing necessary change management strategies.
- Oversee all Institute operations and program support functions, including developing, communicating, and implementing plans that provide an effective and efficient operational infrastructure of systems and processes. Monitor performance against objectives, and ensure the delivery of quality, value-added outcomes.
- Lead or co-lead a varying portfolio of strategic projects and initiatives in collaboration with relevant teams and stakeholders.
- Serve as leading operational interface with major institutional donors/partners, including USAID, National Endowment for Democracy, State Department, as well as other current and potential institutional donors/partners in the United States and internationally.
- Ensure the continual flow and exchange of value-added and informing communications between—to and from—executives, the Board, direct reports, and the organization as a whole.
- Ensure all activities are performed/completed in compliance with applicable regulations and laws, as well as in accordance with NDI’s established values, policies, standards, and procedures. Ensure that responsibilities, authority, and accountability for all direct reports are defined and understood.
- Represent the Institute at various external meetings, forums, and events; develop and maintain a network of external contacts and collaborative partners to promote NDI’s brand, mission, and work.
- Perform other duties as required.
The COO will work closely with and interface regularly with the Executive Team and the NDI Board, and will also have significant interactions internally with other departmental/team management and staff, as well as externally with key NDI donors/partners/stakeholders.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in business, public administration or management, or a related field, or equivalent relevant work experience. Masters degree in a similar discipline is a plus.
- Fifteen years of progressive leadership experience, five of which were in executive management roles, and which preferably included work with a non-profit, NGO, or similar organization with global staff in multiple countries, and focused on international/democratic development, social justice, civil society or other such mission-focused work.
- Previous leadership experience overseeing operational, financial, strategic planning, and Board (or equivalent) relationships as well as supervision of seasoned management staff.
- Demonstrated experience leading, participating in, and executing strategic and operational planning and strategies to ensure clarity around performance expectations, both at the organization and individual levels; alignment with the organization’s vision; and, integration of relevant market and stakeholder information.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Advanced business acumen, as well as demonstrated in-depth knowledge of and experience in the development and execution of operational and management processes e.g., financial management, budgeting, planning, project management, etc., and policies as well as related process improvement, business development, and change management strategies.
- Excellent organizational, project management, facilitation, negotiation, and analytical skills, as well as a, demonstrated propensity to be creative, proactive, and self-motivated in the execution and completion of required accountabilities.
- Superior communication skills, both oral and written, with the ability to develop/deliver presentations to varied audiences in various settings, and plan, lead, and facilitate group meetings and project teams. Must be able to translate and present complex information into a meaningful, understandable, and credible context for business decisions.
- A high level of confidence, integrity, cultural sensitivity, and exceptional interpersonal skills, as well as a professional executive presence, for effectively engaging and interacting with and influencing others, including key stakeholders and decision-makers internal and external to NDI, as well as for building/fostering relationships and meeting public speaking/presentation requirements. Must demonstrate high standards of tact, diplomacy, and discretion.
- Demonstrated ability to establish credibility, and be decisive and results-oriented while balancing varying business considerations/priorities.
- Demonstrated sound judgment, political savvy, and critical thinking relative to complex problem solving/resolution at both the strategic and functional levels.
- Ability to manage uncertainty and conflict, as well as maintain composure and demonstrate control in difficult or complex situations.
- Highly effective leadership skills relative to staff management and achieving results through others.
- A commitment to diversity and inclusion, and the ability to model and reinforce behaviors that value and respect diverse individuals and perspectives and encourage contributions by all team members.
- Technical proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office, i.e., WORD, Outlook, etc. Previous experience with Google Suite is a plus.
- Demonstrated passion and commitment to NDI’s democracy support mission.
This position generally works in an office environment, with occasional travel requirements and/or attendance at external events and activities. Work outside normal business hours, evenings, and weekends may be required to meet these and other position requirements.
Required business travel is anticipated to be no more than 5% and may include successive overnight and occasional weekend travel.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee:
- Will primarily work in an office environment and be required to sit or stand at a desk for a prolonged period and work at a computer.
- Is frequently required to, talk and hear, read, and comprehend information and data.
- Is occasionally required to walk; use hands and fingers to operate, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach/lift with the hands and arms.
The physical demands and work environment that have been described are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Note: This job description is an overview of the functions and requirements for this position. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list encompassing every duty and requirement. Other duties may be assigned as deemed necessary by the supervisor.
Comments: Candidates must be legally eligible and authorized to work in the U.S. NDI does not provide sponsorship.
As a result of COVID19, this position will start in a remote capacity. However, when the office re-opens, this position will be based in our Washington, DC office and the expectation is that you would be based locally by October 2021 to fulfill this obligation. NDI does not cover relocation costs for this position.
NDI welcomes and supports a diverse, inclusive work environment. As such, our commitment is to promote equal employment opportunities (EEO) for all applicants seeking employment and NDI employees. NDI makes employment decisions based on organizational needs, job requirements, and individual qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, personal appearance, military status, gender identity or expression, genetic information, political affiliation, educational status, unemployment status, place of residence or business, source of income, or reproductive health decision making. Additionally, harassment or discrimination based on these characteristics will not be tolerated at NDI. To perform the essential functions of this position, reasonable accommodations are available to qualified individuals with disabilities and qualified individuals who have limitations due to pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or medical-related condition.
To apply for this position, please visit the NDI website at: http://www.ndi.org/careers.