DAI seeks a Chief of Party (COP) for an anticipated USAID-funded Rural Agriculture Enterprise Development Activity in Zambia. The project will focus on promoting the journey to self-resilience and private sector engagement, facilitating the growth of the Zambian entrepreneurship ecosystem. The project’s primary objectives are to facilitate access to finance for rural agricultural SMEs, address barriers that limit SME’s ability to seek and qualify for loans with the objective of improved gender equity and empowerment of youth in Zambia. The project will incorporate rural finance, gender, youth in agricultural programming elements to it.
The COP will provide overall technical and administrative leadership and expertise to the program and will serve as the primary liaison with USAID on management and technical matters. The COP will provide strategic leadership to design and lead efforts to lower the barriers to lending for Small and Medium Sized Enterprises (SMEs) and agribusinesses through a multi sectoral development approach.
- Provide overall leadership, management and technical direction of the entire program to ensure an integrated vision and successful achievement of RAED objectives
- Identify issues and risks related to program implementation and guide appropriate program adjustments
- Serve as the primary liaison between USAID and all other counterparts, implementing partners, program stakeholders, national and regional policymakers and economic agencies, private sector entities, and DAI home office management on all program-related matters
- Lead annual work planning development process, implementation of workplan activities, and delivery of annual targets
- Submit timely, high quality project deliverables to USAID and DAI
- Oversee multiple activities simultaneously, including hiring, training, mentoring, and supervising local personnel
- Build the capacity of local staff in both technical and managerial skills; and
- Ensure compliance with local labor laws, USAID policies, and DAI policies and procedures
- At least 10 years of progressively responsible and relevant management experience on USAID or other donor-funded development projects
- Demonstrated technical expertise in one of the main technical areas, such as access to finance, multisectoral coordination , private sector engagement, investment facilitation, SME development, women and youth.
- Previous experience as a Chief of Party or equivalent experience leading a project or portfolio focused on agricultural SMEs, access to finance, multisectoral coordination, private sector engagement, investment facilitation.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully lead and manage challenging and complex projects that engage a variety of stakeholders.
- Exceptional leadership, interpersonal, technical and analytical skills, including an ability to interact effectively with government counterparts and regional networks and partner organizations
- Possess solid and persuasive, interpersonal and communication skills desired; and
- An advanced degree in a relevant academic field
- Country-level experience in Zambia or regional experience in Sub-Saharan Africa preferred.