QED is a global consulting firm with more than 20 years of experience providing data-driven and insightful solutions in close to 100 countries. We are passionate about transforming lives through knowledge-based solutions. Leveraging deep expertise in monitoring, evaluation, global health, and learning, we help our clients collect, analyze, visualize, and ultimately use data in more effective ways. Our work maximizes results through the use of cutting-edge technologies and innovation, organizational development, and evidence-based decision-making.
QED is preparing to bid on the upcoming USAID/Azerbaijan Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning Mechanism. The concept of the USAID/Azerbaijan Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning Mechanism is to create rigorous monitoring, evaluation and learning system to strengthen USAID/Azerbaijan’s evidence-based decision making that would enhance USAID’s development objectives in Azerbaijan.
We are seeking a qualified Chief of Party (COP) to lead this anticipated five-year activity to be full time and based in Baku, Azerbaijan for the duration of the Activity. S/he will be responsible for overall activity management, quality and timeliness of deliverables, external representation, and coordination with the Client. The COP will provide a strategic vision for managing the program, and will oversee activity tasks to ensure quality work and compliance with contractual obligations and results. The COP is responsible for the quality and performance of work that is performed by staff and sub-contracted to partners.
- Define, gain consensus, and redefine the vision guiding implementation; identify and pursue targets of opportunity
- Develop a work plan with team members and initiate work plans’ implementation
- Direct and monitor execution of activities within the work plan, ensuring that there is consensus on project objectives; that activities are performed to a high professional standard; and objectives are met
- Identify issues and risks related to program implementation in a timely manner and suggest appropriate program adjustments
- Schedule regular meetings with the project team as a vehicle for guiding the project
- Allocate/reallocate contract resources, manage project budget, and ensure financial health for the project
- Ensure sound financial management including programmatic, budgeting, spending, projections, and monitoring of payments
- Determine causes and effects of deviations from work plan
- Anticipate potential future problems in time to ensure that preventive measures can be taken
- Using feedback received during project monitoring and evaluation activities propose and implement actions to remedy deviations from the work plan, or to change the work plan
- Reassess objectives, strategy, and/or plans
- If appropriate, recommend changes in project objectives and/or contract scope of work
2. Personnel Management
- Motivate staff to perform effectively toward project objectives, through communication, team building incentives, and responsiveness
- Create a positive working environment for all staff and ensure growth and professional development opportunities
- Define personnel needs and scopes of work
- Make final selections of personnel to be proposed to client
- Manage and evaluate work done by team members
- Conduct annual performance reviews and recommend/internally negotiate salary adjustments
- Determine whether/when/how to make early termination of field employees
- Ensure adequate and timely provision of contract-allowed benefits and allowances
- Resolve personnel issues and concerns of team members, ensuring their welfare and safety along with the Home Office HR team
- Maintain two-way communication throughout the project with Client, team, home office, subcontractors and other relevant project organizations
- Communicate with interested individuals, organizations, stakeholders as needed
- Make formal and informal presentations on request by Client or as needed for other parties
- Prepare periodic reports to Client on progress towards project objectives
- Exercise “spin control”
- Represent Company interests
- Promote the project among Ministry/client department heads, professional groups, and other relevant people
- Establish criteria, guidelines, and formats for project plans and reports
- Execute contract in compliance with contract provisions
- Manage contract and project finances (budget and funds)
- Recommend changes in contract and budget
- Develop input for and guide response to audit questions and client feedback
- Manage commodity procurement, inventory and general logistics
- Ensure high quality in fulfilling contract
- Represent QED by protecting its contractual interests
- Oversee the performance of partners/sub-awardees
- Carry out technical duties
- Participate in effective information sharing and knowledge management
- Develop and maintain systems that promote the safety and security of all team members
- Support identification of growth opportunities in the region for QED and participate in business development as needed
- Other duties as requested by QED Management and/or Project Director
- Minimum 10-15 years of international management experience
- Advanced university degree in relevant subject areas, preferably International Development and/or Development Management with a desired emphasis in M&E
- Substantial technical experience in monitoring and evaluation of international development projects, preferably for USAID or another donor
- Prior substantive experience as Chief of Party, or its equivalent on USAID-funded projects
- Experience in Azerbaijan or regional area preferred
- Proven record of excellent management, leadership, decision‐making, communication and interpersonal skills, including being an articulate speaker and sympathetic listener
- English fluency required and Azerbaijani language skills are preferred
- The COP should have demonstrated ability: to assemble, quickly and effectively, and to manage a highly‐skilled, interdisciplinary team; to interact with and lead a broad range of governmental and non‐governmental actors and institutions across sectors; and to implement detailed, organized, timely, accurate M&E programs
To apply for this position please follow the following steps:
- Complete the online application.
- Attach your resume/CV.
- Click on this link to complete a USAID Biodata/1420 form, fill out the form, sign it, and attach/upload it to your application.
- You may also include other documents such as cover letter and/or a work sample.
- Submit your application, resume/CV, completed biodata, and any additional documents.
Please note that applications submitted by other means; or without either a resume/CV and/or biodata may not be considered. Only finalists will be contacted; no phone calls please.
A submitted application to QED in response to a position on a bid or proposal, indicates your agreement to be included in our submission to the client at least on an illustrative basis.
The QED Group, LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, Minorities, Veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. AA/V/D. Reasonable accommodation requests will be considered on a case-by-case basis.