RTI’s Global Health Division is currently accepting applications for a Chief of Party (COP) for an anticipated USAID-funded health systems project in Senegal. RTI anticipates the opportunity will focus on achieving sustainable improvement and effective utilization of the Senegalese healthcare system by addressing key causes of maternal and child morbidity and mortality, protecting communities from infectious diseases, and strengthening health systems.
The COP will have primary responsibility for the overall strategic leadership and oversight of project implementation. The COP will ensure that the project meets stated goals and strengthens the technical and managerial leadership and maternal, newborn and child health (MNCH) impact in targeted regions of Senegal. The COP will also have principal responsibility for representation of the project to USAID. They will execute the vision for the RTI-led team and will manage long- and short-term technical expertise across all result areas. The COP will ensure timely implementation and reporting of activities and will serve as the primary focal point for all management decisions with direct oversight of the project’s senior leadership team. The position will be based with RTI in Dakar and local travel will be required. Position is contingent upon award and funding.
Bear ultimate responsibility for all project management and operations, including financial management, cost control, sub recipient management, performance monitoring, financial reporting, and client relations.
Serve as RTI’s project liaison to USAID/Senegal, host government counterparts, local organizations, other stakeholders, and program partners.
Provide strategic leadership and technical and managerial direction for the successful implementation of the project.
Responsible for the overall performance and results of the project, including management and oversight of the program’s technical, operational, and administrative staff.
Interface regularly with USAID on management and decision-making. Ensure that the project activities are meeting client and stakeholder expectations and that project results are proactively disseminated.
Develop and implement annual program work and performance milestone plans and negotiates an agreement of those plans with USAID and other partner organizations. Lead annual project work planning and reporting and be the principal point of contact with USAID, Ministère de la Santé et de l’Action Sociale (MSAS), other implementing partners.
Ensure the timely and quality completion of all program technical and financial deliverables and reports in accordance with USAID guidelines.
Conduct day-to-day management of the project from Dakar and through frequent travel to supported partners, districts, and regions.
With the Finance and Operations Director, adapt and implement management systems with standard operating procedures to administer all activities funded by the agreement, ensuring appropriate financial resources, monitoring, and tracking expenditures, and preparing financial reports for submission to USAID.
Directly supervise senior technical and operational staff members.
- Master’s degree in public health, health systems management, health policy, or an advanced degree in a related field. University degree (or higher) in clinical health field (nursing, medicine, surgery) is preferred.
- Minimum of 14 years of experience managing and leading technical and administrative teams for health projects focused on areas including maternal/child health (MCH), health systems strengthening, family planning (FP)/reproductive health (RH), malaria and/or nutrition.
- Senior-level expertise in any of the following technical areas: MNCH; health systems strengthening (health financing, health governance, human resources for health, health information systems, supply chain and health commodity management, and/or health service delivery).
- Demonstrated ability to support cross-sectoral programming (e.g., with nutrition, education, and/or governance) in development settings.
- Demonstrated ability to create and maintain effective working relations with key stakeholders (e.g., international organizations, NGO partners, host country governments, and U.S. Government Agencies).
- Demonstrated credibility as a leader on matters of MNCH/FP/RH and health systems strengthening.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in senior management roles with financial and technical oversight responsibilities.
- Experience working as COP or DCOP for USG-funded project is highly desirable with proven capacity to effectively manage project funds and geographically disparate staff.
- Proven ability to develop effective working relationships with USAID, government counterparts at all levels, local organizations, and other program partners.
- Demonstrated success in complex health program management including experience in the following: client relationship management, developing program work plans, developing program budgets, managing program implementation, and fielding and managing short term technical assistance for donor-funded programs (preferably USAID-funded programs).
- Ability to develop a common vision among partners and lead multi-disciplinary teams.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal and management skills.
- Possesses the required oral, written communication and presentation skills in French (equivalent to R4/S4) and English (equivalent to R2/S2).
- Work experience in Senegal is required.
- Senegalese citizens/nationals are strongly encouraged to apply.
Apply online via RTI’s Global Opportunities Careers Page. Applications will be reviewed and shortlisted for interview on an ongoing basis. The position will fill quickly, therefore candidates are urged to apply as soon as possible. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.