EDC is one of the world’s leading nonprofit research and development firms. Established in 1958, EDC designs, delivers and evaluates innovative programs to address some of the world’s most urgent challenges in education, health, and economic opportunity. Our services include research, training, educational materials, and strategy, with activities ranging from seed projects to large-scale national and international initiatives.
The overall goal of the upcoming five-year USAID-funded Early Childhood Education (ECE) activity is to increase the effectiveness of the early childhood education system and improve early learning and holistic development outcomes for preschool aged children (ages 3-6+) in Ethiopia. The specific objective is to strengthen the system’s capacity to provide quality, play-based ECE at the federal, regional, woreda, kebele and household levels, increasing early learning opportunities for pre-school aged children that support their holistic development (with special attention to those affected by crisis and conflict, including refugees and IDPs, returnees, and those in host communities).
The Chief of Party (COP) will be responsible for technical leadership, administrative oversight, and overall coordination of the project. The COP will serve as the principle institutional liaison with USAID and key stakeholders. The COP will manage staff and ensure that the project meets stated goals and reporting requirements, as well as ensure the quality, timeliness, and efficiency of all products and activities generated under the activity. The COP should have demonstrated ability to work with multiple stakeholders and manage diverse teams to deliver impact within agreed timelines and budget.
The candidate for the position of Chief of Party shall have at a minimum the following qualifications:
Master’s degree (or foreign equivalent) in education, literacy, early grade reading, early childhood development, international development, or a related field.
Skills and Experience:
- A minimum of 12 years of progressively responsible experience in education, implementing internationally funded development programs, or other relevant technical area;
- At least five (5) years in a senior management or leadership position;
- Experience leading policy dialogue, strategic planning and implementation efforts;
- Strong management skills, leadership qualities, interpersonal skills, cross-cultural skills, and written and oral presentation skills;
- Prior experience working on USAID-funded projects and strong knowledge of USAID rules and regulations;
- Demonstrated ability to work in complex, politically charged environments, work across different cultures, and manage diverse teams to deliver impact within agreed timelines;
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge of capacity development and professional development is preferred;
- Experience within the East Africa region is required. Experience in Ethiopia highly preferred.
Fluency in English required. Proficiency in Amharic is preferred.
EDC is an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer committed to enhancing the diversity of its workforce and ensuring an equitable and highly inclusive work environment. EDC is a smoke-free workplace, and offers a supportive work environment, competitive salary, and excellent benefits. Women, minorities, veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.