RTI International is seeking Chief of Party (COP) candidates for an anticipated
USAID-funded malaria prevention and control project in Burkina Faso. The
purpose of this project is to—in collaboration with the Programme de la Lutte Contre
le Paludisme (PNLP), in-country stakeholders and the U.S. Presidents Malaria
Initiative—strengthen malaria prevention, control and surveillance efforts in Burkina
Faso, in alignment with the country’s respective national malaria strategic
plan and USAID priorities. The COP will provide technical leadership and managerial oversight for
the project, will ensure timely implementation and reporting of activities, as
well as serve as the project’s senior representative with USAID, the Burkinabe Government
and other in-country stakeholders. The position will be based in Ouagadougou,
- Provides vision and strategic technical
leadership for the project.
- Serves as RTI’s representative to USAID, Government of Burkina Faso, Ministry of Health, Ministry of
Finance, PNLP, Local Government Agencies, multilateral and bilateral
organizations, NGOs, FBOs, CBOs and community stakeholders.
- Responsible for ensuring timely communication with and reporting to USAID.
- Ensures that project activities are
meeting client and stakeholder expectations and that project results are
- Responsible for addressing contract-related
issues, including ensuring that RTI financial controls and systems comply with
generally accepted accounting practices that meet USAID standards, and that all
activity-procured materials and equipment are safeguarded and prudently and
- Responsible for the overall planning,
implementation and management of the project and for establishing the administrative
framework to monitor and assure progress toward the achievement of the
goals and objectives of the project. Ensure
the timely and quality completion of required reports.
- Develops and implements annual program
work and performance milestone plans and negotiates an agreement of those plans
with USAID, subcontractors and other stakeholders.
- Responsible for oversight and
direction to all long- and short-term personnel under the
- Represents the project on behalf of RTI
in regional or key global meetings, consultative sessions and conferences.
- Responsible for overseeing and implementing
project security protocols, including ensuring all staff adhere to these protocols.
- Master’s degree in public health, health economics,
health policy, international development or a related field. MD or PhD
- At least 12 years’ experience
managing and leading technical, operational and administrative teams for
complex health projects in Africa. Experience in Burkina Faso preferred.
- Expertise in any of the following technical components:
maternal, newborn and child health (MNCH); malaria; surveillance and/or health management information
knowledge of national issues impacting malaria prevention and control and
demonstrated success strengthening local governmental institutions.
- Demonstrated experience of being a strategic
thinker, who would be able to connect the dots between malaria programming and other
programming in health as well as beyond health; experience in adaptive management
- Demonstrated professional excellence in
health program management, including experience in the following: client
relationship management, developing program work plans, developing program
budgets, managing program implementation, and managing technical assistance
- Demonstrated ability to build and
maintain productive working relationships with a wide network of partners and
stakeholders, including host government ministries.
- Previous experience working as a COP for USG-funded
projects with proven capacity to effectively manage staff and project funds
is highly desirable
knowledge of USAID administrative, management and reporting procedures and
systems along with strategic program planning, management, supervision,
and budgeting expertise.
knowledge and experience in management of projects in conflict / high risk
security contexts, with ability to liaise and network with other in-country
organizations and institutions to gather and exchange security information
and ability to travel frequently within Burkina Faso.
- Excellent proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite applications.
- Excellent oral
and written communication skills.
- Fluency in French and English (tested FSI R4/S4).