Chemonics seeks an experienced chief of party for the anticipated USAID-funded Colombia Destination Nature Activity (DNA). The overall goal of DNA is to build sustainable business models for Colombia’s nature tourism sector that support community development, conserve the country’s rich biodiversity, and reduce drivers of land use change.
DNA will have the following objectives:
1) Develop the market for sustainable nature tourism in targeted destinations
2) Improve evidence-based governance and coordination of sustainable nature tourism in targeted destinations
The chief of party will lead the program’s technical direction and oversee program staff. This position will be based in Bogota, Colombia. We are looking for individuals who have a passion for helping people lead healthy lives around the world.
- Provide leadership, management, and technical direction to personnel, consultants, subcontractors, and project activities, critically facilitating implementation, monitoring and evaluation, reporting, and partner coordination
- Oversee activity strategic planning, performance management and communications, including timely preparation of the annual implementation plan
- Develop and maintain productive partnerships with USAID, key stakeholders, civil society, private sector, the general public, and other donors
- Responsible for overall and direct implementation of activities and ensure all project technical assistance is high quality, technically sound and appropriate
- Remain abreast of ongoing conservation reform efforts and worldwide best practices and innovations
- Supervise senior management team, staff, consultants, and partner organizations to achieve expected results
- Ensure compliance with USAID, USG and GOU laws, regulations, policies, and procedures
- Other tasks as required to achieve the activity’s objectives and expected results
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree with relevant experience OR master’s degree in sustainable tourism, business administration, natural resources management, biology, or some other relevant discipline is required
- Minimum 10 years project experience, preferably in Colombia, working in one or more technical disciplines: nature tourism, biodiversity conservation, natural resources management, sustainability, business administration, land-use planning, and/or other relevant technical areas
- Minimum of 5 years in director-level role leading and managing complex development programs and multi-disciplinary teams in the Latin America Region, preferably as a Chief of Party for a USAID-funded project or equivalent
- Proven track record engaging effectively with stakeholders, fostering collaborative learning and adaptive management, and promoting gender equity and social inclusion
- Strong familiarity with the policy, social, economic, environmental, and cultural context in Colombia, and in particular the PDET regions
- Prior experience advancing issues of reform, improving the enabling environment, and fostering private sector investments in sustainable development (in tourism or related sectors preferred)
- Excellent communication skills in English and Spanish
- Colombian nationals are strongly encouraged to apply
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and a current CV to NatureTourism@chemonics.com with the subject line “Colombia Tourism Activity Chief of Party.” EOIs will be accepted through COB Wednesday, October 13th. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so candidates are encouraged to submit their materials early.
Chemonics is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.
Chemonics values the protection of your personal data. If you are in the European Union, please read our EU Recruiting Data Privacy Notice to learn how we process personal data. You may access the notice via the following link: https://chemonics.com/eu-recruiting-data-privacy-notice/.