ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
myAgro is combating food and economic insecurity among some of the world’s most vulnerable individuals by providing smallholder farmers with access to the resources they need to escape poverty. Unlike many peer organizations with credit-based solutions, myAgro enables farmers to pay for seeds, fertilizer, and other resources in small increments as they save over the course of a year. This mobile layaway tool, plus myAgro’s just-in-time resource delivery system, superior product, and its robust agricultural training approach form a unique suite of services which raise farmers’ annual income by 50-100%, increase their rates of repayment, and markedly improve their families’ lives.
In addition to providing farmers with wraparound support from planting to harvest, myAgro operates a successful social enterprise model through which it trains and employs Village Entrepreneurs to expand the model into their local communities. This highly effective sales- and customer-centric approach has generated significant earned revenue, created a strong track record of growth, and set the stage for continued scale. For the past 5 years, myAgro has doubled in size every year, and the team is now 400+ strong with a community of 1,800 Village Entrepreneurs working in 2,200 villages across three countries. To date, the organization has reached 90,000 farmers in Senegal, Mali, and Tanzania, and is now on track to reach its ambitious North Star of serving 1 million farmers by 2025.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
myAgro seeks to hire an experienced Chief Financial Officer (CFO) with a proven track record of leading and managing global finance teams within dynamic, medium-sized, growth-stage organizations with multiple revenue streams. The selected individual is expected to lead the core finance functions of financial planning & analysis, financial operations, and financial control & audit. S/he will work as a thought partner to the CEO and develop the strategy and financial architecture of this fast-scaling organization.
As a member of the Executive Team, the CFO will be an advisor to the Country Directors by assisting and evaluating their financial and operating plans. S/he will be responsible for overseeing all fiscal and fiduciary responsibilities for the organization, in conjunction with myAgro’s Board of Directors and Finance Committee. S/he must be able to adapt to a continually evolving environment and thrive in an autonomous and deadline-oriented workplace while managing the finance team and supporting the organization’s growth.
The CFO will be based in the US East coast, or within GMT +/- 2. Post-COVID-19, the CFO will travel regularly (locally and internationally) to meet with other senior leaders in person. The CFO will report to the CEO and supervise a finance team of 5 – 8 team members.
- Serve as a thought partner to the leadership team and formulate creative short and long-term financial strategies in accordance with organizational-level strategies; design activities to generate operating margins
- Work closely with the CEO to provide strategic financial analysis and advice to support modeling and program-related decisions as the organization continues to rapidly scale
- Develop and utilize forward-looking, predictive models and activity-based financial analyses to provide insight into the organization’s operations and business plans
- Plan, implement, and manage all financial activities of myAgro, including business planning, budgeting, forecasting and investor and donor reporting; identify and report business risks
- Oversee and improve financial operations and develop a roadmap to implement rigorous processes to further professionalize and digitize operations
- Partner with the CEO to evolve the finance function as the organization grows and scales; understand the infrastructure requirements at both the country and global levels
- Construct and monitor reliable control systems and ensure that record keeping meets the requirements of auditors and government authorities; ensure compliance with all regulatory tax laws and company policies in each of myAgro’s countries of operation
- Ensure timeliness, accuracy, and usefulness of financial and management reporting for government funders, foundations, and myAgro’s board of directors; oversee the preparation and communication of monthly and annual financial statements
Leadership and Team Development
- Develop, evaluate and retain a highly-qualified team of finance professionals; contribute to further building the finance team and designing its structure to support scale
- Manage a distributed team of direct reports and consultants in support of the global finance function; work closely with Country Directors and mentor in-country finance teams in a matrixed context
- Establish a rhythm of frequent and highly proactive communication with the CEO and senior leaders to facilitate seamless operations and effective thought leadership; articulate concepts to both finance and non-finance audiences
- Create, implement and maintain a continuous improvement and control plan for overall business operations, while supporting the finance team to meet business needs
- Foster a culture of transparency and accountability in the finance department
- 10+ years of progressively responsible financial management experience in a fast-growing organization with a budget of at least $10 million and preferably in an emerging market and /or agribusiness; previous experience as CFO, VP of Finance, or equivalent preferred
- Led and managed Finance teams across multiple countries and operations
- Experience working with processing systems including accounting systems, inventory management systems, business planning systems, and grant reporting systems preferred
- Significant experience in or knowledge of nonprofit accounting, including fund and grant accounting, compliance, and reporting; fluency with complex bi-lateral funding agency reporting requirements preferred
- Detail, action, and results oriented; CPA required
HOW TO APPLY
All qualified applicants will receive consideration without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, pregnancy, medical condition, disability, or sexual orientation. As an equal opportunity employer that values the organizational benefits of a diverse staff, myAgro is committed to identifying and developing the skills and leadership of people with a variety of backgrounds and attributes.
myAgro has retained Schaffer&Combs, a certified B Corporation, to support this search. In order to apply, please submit a current resume and thoughtful cover letter that explains your interest and outlines your relevant skills and experience.
Please refrain from contacting myAgro directly. All inquiries should be directed to Schaffer&Combs at CFOmyAgro@schaffercombs.com. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.