mothers2mothers is looking for a dynamic and committed new Chair of the UK Board of Trustees to help take the organisation to the next level as it celebrates 20 years of improving health and communities in Africa.
The Board of Trustees is responsible for providing appropriate oversight, governance and leadership to mothers2mothers UK (m2mUK) in the pursuit of its strategies to fulfil its charitable purposes, including:
- Setting and evaluating the strategy and key policies of m2m and m2mUK.
- Developing m2m’s aims, objectives and goals.
- Fulfilling the board’s collective responsibility for the governance of m2mUK in accordance with the m2mUK’s governing document, prevailing legal requirements and regulatory guidelines.
- Monitoring and inspiring the performance of the m2mUK.
The Board works in a voluntary capacity.
All Trustees are expected to:
- Act as a high level representative for m2m
- Work in partnership with other Trustees to provide leadership for key donor relationships, geographic-specific fundraising, key regional and international policy and advocacy, and communications activities in support of m2m’s programmes.
- Consider giving to m2m UK in line with personal means
- Consider introducing m2mUK to others who can support
Key Performance Areas:
- To set and approve the overall strategy and key policies of m2mUK.
- To ensure that m2mUK and its representatives function within the legal and regulatory framework of the sector and in line with m2mUK’s governing document, continually striving for best practice in governance.
- To uphold the fiduciary duty invested in the role of Trustee, undertaking all duties in a way that upholds best practice in governance to maintain or enhance public confidence and trust in m2mUK, including avoiding personal conflicts of interest.
- To determine the overall direction and development of m2mUK through good governance and management, and clear strategic planning.
- To direct and monitor performance of m2mUK and ensure that it is solvent and well run.
- Setting and approving the overall strategy of the charity and clear objectives with plans to achieve this.
- Regularly reviewing performance against these objectives and holding the management team to account for the effective management and delivery of those objectives, where appropriate.
- Actively participating and informing discussions on the strategic development of m2m.
- Ensuring that the charity complies with its governing document, company and charity law and any other applicable legislation and regulations including health and safety, safeguarding, employment and data protection law among others.
- Being cognisant of Charity Commission and Fundraising Regulator guidance, the Charity Governance Code and the legal duties of Trustees/Directors.
- Ensuring the effective and efficient administration of the m2mUK and its resources.
- Maintaining the financial stability of the m2mUK and ensuring that robust systems are in place for internal financial control and the protection of the m2mUK’s funds and assets.
- Maintaining sound financial management of the m2mUK’s resources, ensuring expenditure is in line with the m2mUK’s objectives and that investment activities meet accepted standards and policies.
- Establishing and monitoring key policies that govern organisational activity, and ensuring the charity’s systems for risk management systems are robust.
- Providing oversight of key policies such as health and safety, safeguarding, the prevention of fraud and other areas of risk as identified on the Corporate Risk Register.
- Setting challenging objectives for improving performance and monitoring performance against those targets.
- Acting in the best interests of m2m, its current and future beneficiaries at all times.
- Ensuring that the good name and reputation of m2m with its body of supporters is rigorously protected.
- Promoting and developing m2m in order for it to grow and maintain its relevance to the international community.
- Positively impacting Board meetings and other relevant meetings through bringing informed, quality perspectives to add contribution and stimulate debate.
- Building strong, effective and trusting relationships with fellow Trustees, and other stakeholders.
- Maintaining the confidentiality of sensitive/confidential information received in the course of a Trustee’s responsibilities to m2mUK.
- Open new avenues of income generation through personal and business connections and introductions.
- Enhance a culture of major gift fundraising, and the principles of philanthropy, at Board and organisational level.
In addition to the above, each Trustee should use any specific skills, knowledge or experience s/he has to help the Board of Trustees reach sound decisions. These may involve scrutinising Committee papers, leading discussions, focussing on key issues, providing advice and guidance on new initiatives and other issues in which the Trustee has special expertise.