The IRC’s Cash Strategy focuses on a core goal – to increase the proportion of humanitarian aid delivered through effective, efficient and appropriate unconditional cash relief  – and is underpinned by the key targets that by 2020 the IRC will deliver 25% of its humanitarian assistance in the form of cash relief and have active cash transfer programs in 75% of its country offices.
Meeting these goals requires further strengthening of the IRC’s operational and technical capacity in order to increasingly consider cash programs systematically in program design, implementation, and in terms of ability to appropriately select and deliver high quality and targeted cash-based programs to deliver economic wellbeing and other outcomes more regularly, faster and at greater scale.
Inherent in scaling up IRC’s cash-related program design and delivery is a robust, comprehensive, and technically sound and up-to-date capacity strengthening support system, to make available and further strengthen needed cash programming-related knowledge and expertise to staff at all levels of the organization. To do so, the IRC is looking for a consultant to support in developing an organizational Cash Capacity Strengthening Strategy and set of associated activities.
The Cash Capacity Strengthening Strategy will be tailored to address capacity strengthening needs across 3 inter-related areas:
- Program assessment, design and implementation: technical and/or operational staff responsible for leading and overseeing the design, implementation and monitoring of cash transfer programs at field level, or providing technical advice and support from HQ (e.g. technical advisors, specialists, coordinators, and program staff focused on food security and livelihoods, WASH, shelter, health, protection etc.).
- Operational delivery of cash programs: operations and support staff including Finance, Logistics/Supply Chain, Administration, Security and IT personnel.
- Strategic management, planning and decision-making: targeting management/more senior-level staff leading on strategic planning and decision-making at an organizational level (e.g. Program Managers, Country and Regional Directors and Deputies, Heads of Base, Program Advisors at HQ level, etc.).
Scope of the consultancy
IRC is seeking an experienced and highly qualified consultant to deliver the following tasks :
- Adapt CaLP’s CTP Competence Framework to mainstream the 6 objectives of IRC’s Cash Strategy
- Conduct a capacity mapping and needs assessment to identify key areas of focus for IRC’s Cash Capacity Strengthening Strategy (via online survey, key informant interviews, etc.)
- Desk-based review and analysis of existing capacity building materials (internally in use by IRC, and external materials of appropriate quality and relevance) to define fit-for-purpose of the current system, and gaps to be addressed/strengthened
- Draft the IRC Cash Capacity Strengthening Strategy
- Prepare a capacity strengthening roll-out plan – in line with and to support wider ongoing organizational cash strategic work- including recommendations on thematic and geographic/country priorities
Expected outputs :
- IRC Cash-Based Programming Competency Framework
- Capacity and needs assessment report
- IRC Cash Capacity Strengthening Strategy
- IRC Cash Capacity Strengthening roll-out plan (annexed to the strategy)
- Experience in designing capacity strengthening strategy and associated activities and resources, including mainstreaming a ‘learner-led’ approach
- Strong analytical and programmatic experience in cash-based programming, with a specific focus on designing and delivering technical training and capacity-strengthening activities
- Experience in organizational change management
- Able to effectively develop learning programs appropriately adapted to strengthening staff capacity at all levels of an organization, including for middle and senior management and leadership
- Excellent communication skills and fluency in English; professional proficiency in French a strong advantage
- Experience working and successfully delivering in culturally diverse contexts
IRC is looking for a consultant who is available for 26 days in December 2016-January 2017.
Below is a suggested LoE (to be discussed with selected candidate):
- Literature review of IRC Cash materials: 1 day
- Adaptation of CaLP CTP Competence Framework: 2 days
- Conduct a capacity gap assessment to identify key areas of focus for IRC’s Cash Capacity Strengthening strategy – interviews/survey: 10 days (for data collection tool design, data collection and analysis)
- Desk-based review and analysis of existing capacity building materials (internally in use by IRC, and external materials of appropriate quality and relevance) to define fit-for-purpose of the current system, and gaps to be addressed/strengthened: 5 days
- Drafting of IRC Cash Capacity Strengthening Strategy: 6 days
- Drafting of Strategy Roll-Out Plan: 2 days
Please send a brief outline of your relevant experience for this consultancy along with your CV to email@example.com, indicating that you are applying for the Cash Capacity Strengthening Consultancy.
 Cash relief is a mechanism for providing resources to people to buy goods and services they need through local markets. Cash relief includes any type of cash (regardless of delivery method), or vouchers (paper or electronic) provided to people affected by crisis.
 Up from approximately 6% in 2015. Source: IRC Cash Strategy: 2015-2020