Founded in 1933, the International Rescue Committee (IRC) is a leading non-sectarian, voluntary organization providing relief, protection, and resettlement services for refugees and victims of oppression or violent conflict. IRC’s Silver Spring office is located in the Suburban Washington Resettlement Center. Currently, the IRC Silver Spring resettles and/or provides assistance to approximately 1000 refugees and asylees each year.
Scope of Work
The Caseworker will serve as the central point of contact and provide care and services to newly arrived refugees by working directly with clients and local service while maintaining professional standards and adhering to best practices regarding case management and client confidentiality.
- Conduct comprehensive intake and assessment for designated families and develop plans in partnerships with families to meet their resettlement needs;
- With the client’s participation, complete a resettlement plan that addresses service delivery approaches and specific timelines for service completion;
- Maintain comprehensive, up-to-date case-note services log containing detailed information about service provision;
- Maintain copies of all appropriate documents, referral letters, forms and other data in client case files
- Conduct employability assessment and develop appropriate family self-sufficiency plan based on current income, employability level and required earnings;
- This position reports to the Casework Supervisor
- Excellent organizational and time management skills;
- Previous resettlement or refugee-related or non-profit experience preferred;
- Fluency in English and a second language (Farsi, Arabic, Burmese, Nepali, French); other languages desirable;
- Ability to work well with people, specifically refugee clients, local service providers, relatives of refugees, and field professionals;
- Solid writing and editing skills;
- Ability to effectively communicate and work as a team member in a cross-cultural environment and independently;
- Computer skills: MS Word, Excel, and Outlook.
For more information on our Programs please click http://www.rescue.org/us-program/us-silver-spring