Capacity Building Consultant – Strategy (International) for Business Advisory Service Providers (BASPs) and MSMEs
Enterprise and Innovation Programme (EIP), Kyrgyzstan
About the Programme
Enterprise and Innovation Programme (EIP) is funded with UK Aid from the UK Government and aims to promote diversified and inclusive economic growth and job creation in Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan. The Programme introduces new and innovative ways to create and support highly competitive businesses, regional brands and business linkages through bringing together startups and Micro, Small and Medium-sized Enterprises (MSME), business advisors and investors from the region and the globe. EIP also aims to support local youth, women and disadvantaged groups to enable them to build the life-changing ventures.
Output 1: Through establishment of Business and Innovation Centres (BICs) EIP will guide starting and growing businesses from initial idea and solution to a problem to product development, marketing, supply chain management, entry into new markets, and fundraising;
Output 2: EIP will improve the quality of business advisory service providers (BASPs) to ensure they are systematic, market-driven and supportive of business innovation, business growth, and business upgrades; and,
Output 3: EIP will build a network of qualified BASPs and mentors to provide valuable business support services to MSMEs and startups. EIP will also count on entrepreneurs from the United Kingdom and other countries, MBA graduates, Cambridge Judge Business School’s staff and other partners, who will provide remote mentorship via conferencing.
EIP targets to establish 10 Business Innovation Centers in Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan, incubate 1,100 MSMEs and startups, generate over 7,400 jobs, and ensure support for at least 800 business companies from trained accredited business advisors.
Scope of Position
STTA will support Output 2 (Support to Existing BASPs) and 3 (Direct Business Advise to MSMEs). Consultant will identify ways for the strategic development of BASPs and approaches for the effective partnerships between EIP and BASPs, startups, MSMEs across all economic sectors in Kyrgyzstan (with a focus on innovative businesses, except primary agricultural producers). Consultant will help stimulate MSME’s demand for business advisory services and contribute to the sustainable development of the Professional Association of BASPs.
The rates to DAI shall be all inclusive of personnel-related insurances, fringe benefits, all payroll related tax and social contributions, and overheads.
Consultant will work closely with all consortium partners, BASPs, existing Associations of BASPs and MSMEs in Kyrgyzstan.
- At least five years of relevant work experience in the field of business advisory services;
- At least three years of experience in planning, developing and implementing strategies for the development of the business advisory services;
- At least three years of experience in conducting trainings, research and development of training modules and manuals;
- Strong understanding of economic opportunities and business sector in Central Asia, work experience in Kyrgyzstan is an advantage;
- Strong analytical and strategic planning skills;
- Work experience with DFID or other major development agencies’ projects (e.g. World Bank Group, USAID, GIZ, SDC etc) is an advantage;
- Ability to work under pressure and tight deadlines;
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment and build effective working relations with clients and colleagues;
- Fluency in English, knowledge of Russian language is an asset.
Special Tasks (with support of the national expert from Kyrgyzstan)
- Develop the four-year BASP Development Strategy in Kyrgyzstan, including mobilization and exit strategy (sustainable regional Association of BASPs);
- Support sustainable development of the existing Professional Association of BASPs through design of the Development Strategy;
- Provide needs-oriented capacity building activities for BASPs (training/ conferences/ other events);
- Develop an approach to subsidizing BASP services;
- Assist with the selection and mobilisation of BASPs for BICs;
- Develop direct marketing plan to stimulate MSMEs’ demand for business advisory services;
- Provide training for the Association of BASPs based on their needs.
The following products have to be delivered in English:
- Approach to strengthening the development of the Professional Association of BASPs
- Training reports, modules
- Approach to subsidizing BASP services
- Strategy of BASP Development
- BASP Association Development Plan
- Direct market linkage development plan
Period of Assignment:
September 2019– December 30, 2019
Total number of working days for this TOR do not exceed 20 working days.
Representation and Terms:
The work under this assignment has to be carried out in close cooperation with the EIP team. All documents developed by the Consultant within present Terms of Reference, strategy, approach, reports, plans, etc. are owned by the EIP.
All interested candidates should send CVs no later than 11:59 pm on September 16th, 2019. Detailed ToR will be shared with the shortlisted candidates.