- Assist the DCO in operating the Butaro campus each day in an efficient, safe, and cost-effective manner.
- Oversee main services on campus including dining, cleaning, campus waste disposal, warehousing and accommodations.
- Provide program support to academic teams throughout the duration of the school year as well as during special programs and events.
- Coordinate with other campus operations team managers to ensure the operations department is supporting each team to meet their required functions.
- Work with campus leaders to set monthly priorities and determine key tasks.
- Manage staff and create feasible work plans that harmonize with one another.
- Coordinate with other UGHE departments to support the academic, research, and other programmatic activities hosted on the Butaro campus.
- Create a technical Campus Operations Manual for all functions along with accompanying Standard Operating Procedures.
- Collaborate with the DCO and Senior Leadership Team (SLT) to continually develop and improve campus operational systems to better meet the needs of the residents.
- Participate in annual and strategic planning for UGHE’s operations.
- Support fundraising and other guest visits to the Butaro campus.
- Provide support as needed to all other managers on the operations team.
- Hire, train, and supervise all employees and other direct reports necessary to meet the campus operations requirements.
- Communicate regularly with operations managers and officers of other universities to cross-share information and troubleshoot.
- Report to the Director of Campus Operations with timely updates on current operations
Supply Chain & Logistics
- Assist the procurement team to create and manage systems to ensure an efficient campus supply chain system that minimizes stock outs and waste.
- Assist in contract negotiations for procurement selection as well as support procurement team in local and international procurement of consumables, equipment, and imported goods in relation to this program.
- Work with procurement to ensure that UGHE’s procurement is sourced from the Butaro District as much as possible.
- Actively partake in weekly calls with the Boston and Kigali Supply Chain team carrying out international procurement for the Butaro campus.
- Serve as the primary point person for organization logistics, working across the team to optimize use of vehicles and staff.
- Meet with the Community Advisory Council in Burera District to build and maintain excellent relationships with our neighbors in the cell, sector, and district.
- Coordinate with local and national authorities to ensure that the Butaro campus is in compliance with all legal and regulatory requirements.
- Monitor and review monthly spending against budget.
- Supervise implementation of budget lines in accordance with rules and regulations, and in coordination with DCO.
- Develop fluent understanding of operations components of budget and make day-to-day spending decisions within decided upon guidelines.
- Minimum five years work experience in operations, hospitality, hotel management, supply chain, logistics or other related field.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s in related field strongly desired
- Experience managing complex operations in a resource-limited setting.
- Knowledge and experience in higher education, hotel management or global health is strongly preferred; knowledge and experience in both is desired.
- Excellent communication and writing skills; ability to articulate UGHE’s and PIH’s mission and program objectives persuasively.
- Ability to serve as an external representative to government officials, UGHE partners, and donors.
- Ability to live in Butaro full time (including weekends as needed) required.
- English and Kinyarwanda proficiency required; French knowledge highly preferred.
- Excellent organizational skills; ability to manage complex projects from creation to completion, plan and prioritize multiple projects, and coordinate teams to meet deadlines.
- Exemplary interpersonal skills; ability to collaborate effectively with culturally diverse staff across departments and organizations.
- Demonstrated poise, tact, integrity, and professionalism.
- Interest in social justice strongly desirable.
The University of Global Health Equity (UGHE) is a new kind of university focused on training the next generation of global leaders in health care delivery. The university launched in Rwanda in September 2015 with its flagship degree program: the Master of Science in Global Health Delivery. Through an academic experience uniquely rooted in the values of equity, students are empowered to both ease suffering at the bedside and drive transformational, systemic changes to the health system.
UGHE is an initiative of Partners In Health (PIH), an internationally recognized non-profit organization whose mission is to provide a preferential option for the poor in health care. In over nearly three decades of operating alongside public sectors in countries around the world, PIH has developed a model to deliver high quality health care to some of the world’s most marginalized communities. Nowhere has this impact been more profound than in Rwanda, where Inshuti Mu Buzima—PIH’s sister organization—and our government partners have driven innovation for a decade.
Members of the UGHE community are tenacious and resolute in our drive to attain social justice, make common cause with those in need, listen to and learn from others, and operate with honesty and humility as we uphold academic integrity and intellectual curiosity. The University of Global Health Equity seeks individuals committed to these values to join the team.
Partners In Health is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.