The Danish Refugee Council (DRC), one of the world’s leading NGOs, with a focus on responding to displacement, have been registered in Bangladesh since 2013. In 2017, in response to the Rohingya influx, DRC are preparing to launch an integrated program of support to the government in site management, shelter/NFI and protection. In 2018, DRC will be implementing aid projects in support of the host communities most affected by the influx of refugees. As a key part of this, DRC opened a main office in Cox’s Bazar, and a support/liaison office in Dhaka.
Overall purpose of the role:
The Community Infrastructure Team Leader, will support the Community Infrastructue Manager in preparing proper engineering designs of various structures, and facilities, such as roads, bridges, soil retentions, drainage systems, etc. The Team Leader will provide technical help to the site development officers and he will be responsible of ensuring that the construction works are according to specifications and according to agreed quality standards. The Team Leader will be responsible of keeping track of materials needed per construction work and fill the weekly material delivery schedule according to needs and warehouse space. The Team leader position will be responsible for reporting the ongoing, completed and standby work schedule to the DRC departments, Donor and Government Officials accordingly.
Responsibilities: (in bullet points)
- Preparing detailed engineering documents by developing construction specifications, plans, bill of quantities and schedules;
- Supervise the Community Infrastructure Officers that the work is being carried out in a timely and according to agreed quality standards.
- Scheduling material and equipment purchases and deliveries to the sites;
- Daily update and management of data-gathering and tracking tools used to monitor the project;
- Work with the admin team and DRC logistics department to ensure that construction materials are delivered on time and according to needs;
- Support admin team and DRC finance team with the volunteer payments;
- Assessing the sustainability and environmental impact of projects;
- Implement appropriate monitoring and evaluation systems; analyzing results to ensure and enhance program effectiveness and quality;
- Report on a daily, weekly and monthly basis as required by the line manager;
- Ensuring projects run smoothly and structures are completed within budget and on time;
- Any other duties as agreed with the Site Operations Manager or relevant line manager.
Experience and technical competencies: (include years of experience)
- At least 4 years proven construction and engineering experience;
- At least 2 years staff management experience;
- Knowledge in using AutoCAD, Microsoft Office (Excel, Power Point, Word);
- The ability to think methodically and to manage projects using strong problem-solving skills;
- Ability to work to deadlines and within budgets;
- The ability to take the initiative and work independently as well work as a team player – supporting other departments is essential
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Flexibility and capacity of adaptation to a changing working environment;
- Willingness to live and work in a challenging environment with limited resources;
- Experience conducting monitoring, evaluation and reporting of distribution and/or NFI and/or shelter and/or WASH programming is an advantage;
- Experience working on projects funded UNHCR, IOM, UNICEF, ECHO an advantage.
- Experience with digital data gathering platforms and tools (such as Kobo), including design of formats and evaluation of data;
- Experience in cash-voucher programming an advantage;
- Experience in administration and logistics an advantage;
- Must be willing to work during Friday’s and Holidays if requested.
- Commitment to DRC’s overall aims and policies and experience of promoting gender equity and ensuring vulnerable people’s needs are met. Experience working with an NGO in an emergency response setting is an advantage;
Education: (include certificates, licenses etc.)
- Minimum bachelor degree in civil engineering.
Languages: (indicate fluency level)
- English – (Advance)
- Bengali – (Advance)
- Chittagonian (Is an advantage )
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values.
Designation of Duty Station: Based in Cox’s Bazar and covering selected part of DRC’s area of intervention in Rohingya camps in Ukhia area and within the Bangladesh host communities.
Salary Band – (G)
Contract Length: Up to 31st December 2019.
Expected Starting Date: 1st July 2019
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for National Staff in Bangladesh.
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV,
1. Mentioning two referees’ details with CV, where one must be from present or past employer (If Experienced) & another person can be your colleague.
2. The cover letter with CV must not be longer than four pages & must be in English.
Application Deadline: 23rd June 2019.
Applications must be submitted through the page by clicking apply. Applications submitted by email will not be considered. Please do not submit hard copy. Hard copy is not allowed. Due to the urgency of the position, DRC will review applications on a rolling basis and candidates may be invited to test/interview.