The Danish Refugee Council (DRC), one of the world’s leading NGOs, with a focus on responding to displacement, have been registered in Bangladesh since 2013. In 2017, in response to the Rohingya influx, DRC are preparing to launch an integrated program of support to the government in site management, shelter/NFI and protection. In 2018, DRC will be implementing aid projects in support of the host communities most affected by the influx of refugees. As a key part of this, DRC opened a main office in Cox’s Bazar, and a support/liaison office in Dhaka.
Overall purpose of the role:
The officer, with the training and support from the team leader and manager, will lead in all matters concerning the routine process of the BTP. They will be responsible to support, implement and monitor all the production line of bamboo treatment process. They will support in overseeing all ongoing process in BTP and manage the volunteer labours by giving directions in all phases of the treatment (bamboo receiving, sorting, cleaning, bathing, soaking and storing) . They will ensure the training of volunteers labours are carried out are of high quality and are done in a timely and safe manner. This position involves close cooperation with the team leader responsible for the BTP, the volunteers labors, and DRC Protection management..
Responsibilities: (in bullet points)
- Contribute to Community Infrastructure strategy development, project proposal and provide input on needs and gaps
- Plan the various stages of project implementation and set direction by prioritizing and organizing activities and resources to achieve project objectives
- Promote and share ideas for improvement and necessary changes in the activities.
- Design/ Implement innovative and cost -effective solutions for Community Infrastructure activities in the camps.
- Manage and implement Community Infrastructure project (activities, budget project documentation) as delegated from Senior Manager in line with proposal, strategies and donor requirements and ensure high technical quality.
- Provide regular progress reports to Senior Manager.
- Work in close collaboration with Camp Management and Protection teams to ensure beneficiaries are provided with adequate services.
- Liaise and collaborate with relevant local authorities (CiC) and other key stakeholders.
- Manage and quality control of all aspects of the project.
- Ensure budget utilization and physical target achievements are reviewed.
- Ensure project implementation is on time, target and budget, using effective M&E systems to reach desired impacts
- Anticipate and mitigate risks and trouble-shoot any unforeseen challenges during the project implementation
- Regular update the work plan, output tracker, PMF and other documents relevant for effective project management
- Review the BFU(s) and provide accurate forecasts with BOQs
- Forecast monthly cash requirements of the project and submit to Senior Manager
- Contribute to the development of Procurement plans
- Send accurate and precise order forms in a timely manner
- Contribute to quality checks and procurement committees to finalize suppliers’ selection according to applicable scenario
- Confirm quality of material selection if and when applicable
- Ensure a proper management and use of the project assets and stocks
- Plan team movements based on available fleet and applicable policies
Administration/HRLeading the recruitment of technical staff (development of organigrams, ToRs, elaborating the tests and reviewing them; interviews etc)
- Ensure that project staff understand and are able to perform their roles and responsibilities
- Ensure capacity building of project staff and transfer key skills
- Follow-up the work plans and day-to-day activities of the project staff
- Manage the project staff in cooperation with Senior manager
- Ensure a positive working environment and good team dynamics
- Undertake regular appraisals of staff and follow career management
- Manage interpersonal conflicts.
Experience and technical competencies: (include years of experience)
- At least 5 years proven construction and engineering experience;
- At least 5 years staff management experience;
- Excellent capacity in using AutoCAD, Microsoft Office (Excel, Power Point, Word);
- The ability to think methodically and to manage projects using strong problem-solving skills;
- Proven ability to work to deadlines and within budgets;
- Proven ability to take the initiative and work independently as well work as a team player – supporting other departments is essential
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Flexibility and capacity of adaptation to a changing working environment;
- Willingness to live and work in a challenging environment with limited resources;
- Experience conducting monitoring, evaluation and reporting of distribution and/or NFI and/or shelter and/or WASH programming is an advantage;
- Experience working on projects funded UNHCR, IOM, UNICEF, ECHO an advantage.
- Experience with digital data gathering platforms and tools (such as Kobo), including design of formats and evaluation of data;
- Experience in cash-voucher programming an advantage;
Commitment to DRC’s overall aims and policies and experience of promoting gender equity and ensuring vulnerable people’s needs are met. Experience working with an NGO in an emergency response setting is an advantage;
Education: (include certificates, licenses etc.)
- Minimum bachelor degree in civil engineering.
- Master’s degree in relevant subject is preferable.
Languages: (indicate fluency level)
- English – (Fluent)
- Bengali – (Fluent)
- Chittagonian (Is an advantage )
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values.
Designation of Duty Station: Based in Cox’s Bazar and covering selected part of DRC’s area of intervention in Rohingya camps in Ukhia area and within the Bangladesh host communities.
Salary Band – (F)
Contract Length: Up to 31st December 2019.
Expected Starting Date: 1st August 2019.
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for National Staff in Bangladesh.
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV,
1. Mentioning two referees’ details with CV, where one must be from present or past employer (If Experienced) & another person can be your colleague.
2. The cover letter with CV must not be longer than four pages & must be in English.
Application Deadline: 4th July 2019.
Applications must be submitted through the page by clicking apply. Applications submitted by email will not be considered. Please do not submit hard copy. Hard copy is not allowed. Due to the urgency of the position, DRC will review applications on a rolling basis and candidates may be invited to test/interview.