Research Triangle Institute (RTI) has over 30 years’ experience assisting governments, communities, and the private sector. As a not-for-profit, independent research institute based in North Carolina, USA, RTI has roughly 5,000 employees with global experience implementing international development projects. RTI’s Sustainable Growth & Resilience (SG&R) technical unit within the International Development Group brings together RTI experts and capabilities across food security, agriculture, energy, environment, water, governance, and economic opportunity. SG&R will leverage RTI’s experience designing and delivering multisectoral programming and technical solutions to respond to climate change, build resilience, and promote economic growth around the world.
The USAID South Asia Regional Energy Partnership (SAREP) will improve access to affordable, secure, reliable, and sustainable energy in six countries—Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, and Sri Lanka—strengthening systems and processes in line with these countries’ economic and energy-security priorities. This five-year program serves as the linchpin of the US Government’s Indo-Pacific Vision, and will facilitate collaboration among its six countries of operation to accelerate the transition to clean energy, mitigate climate change, and promote energy security, economic development, self-reliance, livelihoods, health, and productivity throughout the region.
Call for Experts
RTI International has opened a Call for Experts (also being released as an Expression of Interest), looking for qualified energy practitioners or researchers who are legally allowed to work in one or more of the listed countries i.e., Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, and Sri Lanka and the requisite expertise to deliver professional services on a short-term basis in the areas of renewable energy, advanced energy systems, and natural gas related topics, capacity building, and learning activities within the scope of the USAID South Asia Regional Energy Partnership (SAREP). Submissions due September 27th (submission details below).
AREAS OF EXPERITSE
Successful candidates will provide on-demand technical support services in one or more of the technical areas of expertise listed below. No one candidate is expected to have or provide expertise in all the listed domains.
- Renewable energy policy, regulation and grid integration
- Distribution Utility Reform and Modernization
- Energy accounting, deployment of meters and loss reduction
- Sub-transmission and distribution network planning, design, operation and investment mobilization
- Deployment of Advanced energy systems and technologies (such as EVs, Demand response etc.)
- Battery and other storage technologies
- Capacity building and knowledge dissemination
- Deployment of resilient, distributed energy services
- Design/Adoption of distributed energy, electric vehicles and/or modern gas systems
- Development of power markets (day-ahead, OTC, real time, etc.)
- Diversification of energy resources
- Energy efficiency in various sectors particularly buildings, SMEs, etc.
- Experience in district cooling, chillers, tri-generation and related technologies.
- Energy policy and regulatory reform
- Energy procurement systems
- Climate Change and Urban Air Pollution
- Environment conservation and
- Gender and inclusion policies
- Governance and institutional analysis
- Design of procurement rules, bid documents and evaluation
- Infrastructure and clean energy finance
- Innovative technologies, practices, business and financing models for advanced energy systems
- Regulatory analysis and Tariff design
- Legal and regulatory experience in power and natural gas
- Market competition promotion (energy-specific)
- Renewable energy technologies: design, adoption, integration and scale-up
- Natural gas policies, regulation and infrastructure development (terminals, pipelines etc.)
- Mobilizing investments, transaction advisory in power and or natural gas sectors
- PPP projects, private sector engagement in power and or natural has sectors
- Transmission planning and network design
- Power System Operation, Load Dispatch and Market Coordination
- Power procurement, power management, and cost optimization
- Power sector planning, resource optimization, security and resilience
- Public and private sector investment for the deployment of advanced energy systems
- Regional transmission connectivity
- Policies, regulations, standards and institutions for regional trade for electricity and gas
- Renewable energy grid integration
- Smart grid and its components such as smart meters, AMI, SCADA, DMS etc.
- Modernization of system operation and load dispatch
- Cyber security and grid resilience
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSA’s):
- A master’s degree in economics, energy, engineering, finance, business administration, management, political science, policy, legal, and/or other related fields.
- Minimum 10-15 years of experience supporting or leading energy sector policy, reform, regulation, financing or projects, particularly in South Asia.
- Familiarity with the trends, technologies, and regulations in the power and broader energy sector and the challenges associated with their deployment/implementation.
- Familiarity with the political, social and cultural context of working in South Asia is required.
- Ability to work in fast paced environment and meet deadlines.
- Excellent reading, writing and presentation skills in English are required.
- Fluency in native language, other than English.
- The ability to legally work in one or more of the following countries Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Sri Lanka.
Preferred, but not required, KSA’s:
- The ability to multitask and manage small teams. .
- Proficiency with Excel in order to conduct data analysis.
- The ability to work with limited supervision.
- Prior work with international organizations particularly USAID is considered as advantage.
- Good attendance and a commitment to being on time.
- High level of ethics, honesty, discipline, and professionalism.
- Possess a positive attitude and be a team player.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORK ENVIRONMENT
The consultant will primarily work from home with occasional travel to RTI Office, project locations and meetings with stakeholders will be required. Travel to countries in South Asia may be required.
- A cover letter in English describing how the applicant fits for these consultancy requirements in terms of sectors, technical expertise, general qualifications, and professional experience. Please clearly indicate specific sector(s) and technical expertise the applicant possesses, has proven track records of achievements, and outline contact details of three independent work referees.
- Updated CV must be in English.
- Expressions of interest should be submitted via email to SAREP-Procurement@rti.org no later by September 27, 2021 at 5 pm IST.
- Applicants should indicate the reference number on the subject line of their email as follows: EOI-SAREP-FY21-001
This call for Call for Expert/Expression of Interest does not constitute a solicitation. RTI does not require proposals and prices at this stage; RTI merely seeks your expression of interest in participating in any future acquisition of the described types of services.
Due to the anticipated high volume of communications in response to this request for Call for Expert/Expression of Interest (EOI), RTI will not issue confirmation as to receipt of applications or submission of Call of Expert/EOIs.
Disclaimer: Issuance of this Call of Expert/EOI does not constitute an award commitment on the part of SAREP nor commit the project to pay for costs incurred in the preparation and submission of an EOI. Further, SAREP reserves the right to reject any or all Expert/EOI received. Similarly, an invitation for further negotiation or to submit a full application is not a commitment to award the contract to that application.