About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
Program / Department Summary
MicroMentor is an initiative of Mercy Corps’ Innovations Team. At MicroMentor, our mission is to leverage the power of mentoring to help small businesses thrive. We do so by offering entrepreneurs direct access to a pool of committed professional volunteer mentors via an easy-to-use online community. MicroMentor has an expanding community making 10,000 mentoring connections every year. Entrepreneurs matched with a mentor have shown significant results in terms of improved job creation, business survival, and revenue growth. Our team is diverse, driven, hardworking and highly committed to the mission of helping small businesses thrive through mentoring and about Mercy Corps’ mission to supporting our worldwide team that’s improving the lives of 19 million people in 40+ countries.
General Position Summary
The Business Solutions Associate plays a key role in MicroMentor’s business development, sales, and customer project management efforts. The Business Solutions Associate will support customer facing work from ‘cradle to grave,’ including lead prospecting and vetting, writing proposals, closing contracts and supporting active customer relationships and project implementation. The Business Solutions Associate will streamline and maintain sales processes, customer communications, and sales materials to effectively and efficiently manage and maintain the sales pipeline, B2B marketing efforts, and support in implementation activities with the guidance of the Business Solutions Manager.
Essential Job Responsibilities
LEAD GENERATION & B2B SALES
● Own MicroMentor’s lead qualification process – research high potential opportunities and vet incoming sales inquiries suitable for MicroMentor’s fee for service offerings. Maintain ongoing lead list, track sales cycle and sales pipeline (using Salesforce).
● Manage and schedule B2B conference engagements.
● Create and maintain all sales assets and ensure they are up-to-date, on brand and compelling.
● Distill and deliver the MicroMentor value proposition while demonstrating MicroMentor’s platform via online demos, phone calls and in email communication.
● Assist in the proposal development/delivery, and price estimation for new fee for service engagements.
● Follow up brokered deals with contracting and compliance activities to close the sale (and track in Salesforce).
CUSTOMER PROJECT SUPPORT
● Collaborate with diverse stakeholders during the set up and implementation of multiple MicroMentor customer projects. This includes scheduling, asset creation, project reporting, and support in other activities in collaboration with the project implementation team.
● Assist in maintaining and updating all project management assets (how to guides, decks, educational content) and ensure they are accurate and easily customizable for different customers.
● Support effective project management structures to ensure that projects are delivered on time, in scope and within budget.
● Travel to project locations as needed, (pending strict COVID-19 precautions).
● Assist with the documentation and dissemination of institutional knowledge, such as, operational procedures, case studies, lessons learned and best practices in social innovation, corporate social responsibility, and economic development.
● Support and collaborate with the Business Operations Manager in identifying market opportunities, testing new product offerings, and building MicroMentor’s global business operations.
● Develop sector knowledge around entrepreneurship, economic development, mentoring, employee engagement, and MicroMentor target markets such as LATAM and MENA.
As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically
to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Reports Directly To: Emily Joy, Business Solutions Manager
Works Directly With: MicroMentor sales team, MicroMentor Director, MicroMentor field team(s), MicroMentor marketing team, MicroMentor mentors and entrepreneurs, MicroMentor customers, Mercy Corps country program staff, Mercy Corps HQ staff
Knowledge and Experience
● 2+ years experience in customer sales and services, fundraising, donor management, and/or project management
● 2+ years experience in marketing, social media management, creative writing, and/or content creation
● Proven track record of working in a customer facing role with excellent communication and interpersonal skills across cultures
● Proven ability to effectively build interpersonal relationships and achieve alignment across a wide range of functions and constituents
● Excellent organizational and project planning skills
● Flexible approach and an ability to operate effectively with uncertainty and change
● Driven, self-motivated, enthusiastic. Problem solver with a “can do” attitude
● Spanish, Arabic or French fluency a plus
● Experience using Salesforce, or similar customer management software a plus
A successful Business Solutions Associate will exhibit a positive attitude, excitement for learning, strong work ethic, high integrity and a passion for the mission of Mercy Corps and MicroMentor. This individual will be passionate about delivering value to the MicroMentor members and customers, while balancing those needs with the organization’s priorities, resources and objectives. Attention to and comprehension of details is vital for success. The Business Solutions Associate will be able to visualize and engage the “big picture”, while also being able to quickly learn and maintain procedures and systems. They will have a bias toward execution, the ability to establish and meet deadlines and work both independently and cooperatively with teams. The Business Solutions Associate should have the proven ability to synthesize information, draw meaningful conclusions, and respond appropriately.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions
This position is based in Portland, Oregon but remote options will be considered. This role may include travel for team meetings and occasionally to country offices across the agency, travel estimated up to 15% of the time. Travel may be to insecure and/or austere locations.
Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours when deployed in a field posting or on a visit/TDY to a field posting. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in country venues.
In support of our belief that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities we serve, we empower all team members to dedicate 5% of their time to learning activities that further their personal and/or professional growth and development
Achieving our mission begins with how we build our team and work together. Through our commitment to enriching our organization with people of different origins, beliefs, backgrounds, and ways of thinking, we are better able to leverage the collective power of our teams and solve the world’s most complex challenges. We strive for a culture of trust and respect, where everyone contributes their perspectives and authentic selves, reaches their potential as individuals and teams, and collaborates to do the best work of their lives.
We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a journey, and we are committed to learning, listening and evolving to become more diverse, equitable and inclusive than we are today.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer that does not tolerate discrimination on any basis. We actively seek out diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be collectively stronger and have sustained global impact.
We are committed to providing an environment of respect and psychological safety where equal employment opportunities are available to all. We do not engage in or tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability (including HIV/AIDS status), marital status, military veteran status or any other protected group in the locations where we work.
Safeguarding & Ethics
Mercy Corps is committed to ensuring that all individuals we come into contact with through our work, whether team members, community members, program participants or others, are treated with respect and dignity. We are committed to the core principles regarding prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse laid out by the UN Secretary General and IASC. We will not tolerate child abuse, sexual exploitation, abuse, or harassment by or of our team members. As part of our commitment to a safe and inclusive work environment, team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner, respect local laws and customs, and to adhere to Mercy Corps Code of Conduct Policies and values at all times. Team members are required to complete mandatory Code of Conduct elearning courses upon hire and on an annual basis.