About the Opportunity
Under the supervision of the Vice President of Global Technology Programs, the Business Manager’s primary responsibility is monitoring, supporting, and analyzing the program portfolio’s financial performance and operations. The Business Manager will lead the Business Operations Team (BOT). The team will be responsible for providing financial and operational support to the Global Technology programmatic team.
The Global Technology Programs Department is a hybridized unit. We directly implement a wide range of tech-centered and/or multi-regional programs. We also support the expansion of technological programming and solutions into Internews programming around the world and guide the organization’s Internet Freedom work as well as its approach to private sector engagement with the technology industry.
Our programs support partners to demand, build, and protect a safe, accessible, open, interoperable Internet for all. From funding local Internet rights advocacy initiatives and open source technology development to designing cutting-edge approaches to organizational security, we focus on identifying, responding to, and amplifying local and regional needs, and empowering local and regional expertise within global networks and systems. We also maintain specific expertise in working with and supporting the specific needs of marginalized populations.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Internews’ Headquarters offices are closed and staff are working remotely until at least 1 July 2021. Our ideal candidate would be based in one of Internews’ US Headquarters offices which are located in Washington, D.C. and Arcata, California. We will also consider remote applicants, however you must have work authorization in your location that does not require sponsorship from Internews. Additionally, there are locations in which Internews is not able to remote work. Remote applicants should apply for this position with the understanding that work hours will need to be coordinated to align with those of colleagues in the GMT -5 time zone.
Our Commitment to Fostering a Culture of Belonging
We are an organization of dynamic, mission-driven individuals who are passionate about our core values and about supporting positive change in the world. We pride ourselves on our commitment to innovation and flexibility. We believe that diverse teams are strong teams and work to support an ethic of belonging, dignity, and justice for all people. Our current team includes a mix of genders, parents, and non-parents, and people of multiple races, nationalities, ages, sexual orientations and socio-economic backgrounds. We are EEO employer and encourage candidates of all races, genders, ages, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply, and welcome those with alternative backgrounds and experiences.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Provide analytical/financial support to the VP of Global Tech Programs;
- Lead the tracking of program budgets and provide analysis for department in conjunction with the BOT;
- Track staff Level of Effort (LoE) allocations across programs and indirect funding and provide LoE analyses as needed by the VP and Directors;
- Liaise with field accountants, country managers, and other business managers to improve internal policies and procedures;
- Assist program staff with proposal budget development for new and existing projects and modifications of current budgets;
- Assist VP with compiling regular reports and analysis to management;
- Support VP, Regional Directors, and Project Directors in start-up phases of new projects including launch and admin and operations systems-building;
- Develop and monitor the portfolio’s subgrants and contracts in conjunction with the Senior Grants Associate;
- Significant communication and interaction with program teams is expected to assist and review business operations, technical launch and close out of programs and provide financial and operational training as needed;
- Communicate deliverables and requests with program staff, both written and spoken;
- Provide budget authority for subgrants, procurements, and other payments;
- Approve budgets for programs that will be jointly implemented, i.e. Resource Sharing Agreements and other shared cost instruments for projects conducted with European funding;
- Support capacity building and mentoring to GTP partners on key business management themes as other duties allow.
- Work closely with VP on overall strategy and vision for the department;
- Lead analysis and strategic planning around organization-level operations to advance strategic goals for integration;
- Serve as lead liaison to Operations department with assistance from other members of the BOT;
- Supervise the department Senior Business Associate and Senior Grants Associate;
- Provide dotted line supervision to the Global Tech Hub Programme Associate;
- Monitor and resolve financial obligation issues with funders;
- Prepare advanced financial analysis & reporting utilizing accounting system (Unit 4 ERP), including working with the Senior Director of Budgeting and Internal Reporting to forecast expenses for the portfolio;
- Developing the department’s indirect budget in coordination with the VP;
- Approve other cash funding requests prepared by program staff and other members of the BOT;
- Review and approve recode requests prepared by program staff and other members of the BOT;
- Provide necessary program support during project and office start-up and close-out;
- Serve as key liaison and issue escalation point with business administration departments;
- Support implementation of policies, procedures and audit finding responses;
- Procurement documentation prep and submission to GC (bids, PO requisition form):
- Coordinate funder prior approval where applicable;
- Subgrants – Oversee or directly perform the following tasks depending on program needs:
- Direct budget/ agreement negotiation with subrecipient (calls and emails);
- Follow up with subrecipient to get responses;
- Follow up with Programs to get responses related to subgrant SOWs and budgets;
- Perform initial review of narrative and financial reports;
- Direct report/ payment clarification/ negotiation with subrecipient
- Follow up with programs to get field approval of subrecipient narrative reports
- Payment request/ WTR
- Prepare budget modifications as needed;
- Create Cost Share Tracking – document for Grants and Contracts. Reconcile field tracking and ERP tracking;
- Coordinate with Grants and Contracts on request for obligations or other mods to awards;
- In all duties, an understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
Qualifications We’re Looking For
- Relevant university degree required; Masters in related area preferred;
- Experience with non-profit project and portfolio management as well as developing or supporting USAID funded programs;
- Experience with financial analysis, accounting, bookkeeping and financial management;
- Grant proposal and budget development experience;
- Experience with legal/regulatory issues and/or policy advocacy a significant asset;
- Experience with the Program Unit Region; language proficiency a significant asset; other regional language skills helpful;
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills including diplomacy, tact, and the ability to negotiate;
- Excellent communication skills: speaking, writing, and listening;
- Proven ability to set priorities and manage time effectively;
- Proven analytical and problem-solving ability;
- Proven ability to work both independently and as an effective team member;
- Proven ability to prioritize and handle multiple on-going assignments;
- Proficient in MS Office
This position is being offered and hired by Internews Network. Benefits will be consistent with Internews Network’s offerings and will be reviewed during the hiring process. Additional information can be found on our About Working for Internews page.