The Business Development Manager will support ChildFund International’s overall grant acquisition and management strategy and lead the development and realization of the resource mobilization strategy in country in order to support the implementation of Country Office’s (COs) strategic plan. A member of the country senior management team, he/she will manage all aspects of the business development efforts including proposal development, prospecting potential donors and managing relationships. He/she will serve as a CO resource for the conceptualization, development, technical quality of implemented programs. The Business Development Manager will work in close coordination and collaboration with ChildFund’s Global Business Development Team.
This is a local post and is open to Filipino nationals only.
Resource Mobilization Strategy
- Ensure that all CO grant Business Development activity aligns with ChildFund’s Business Development Policy, Procedures and Practices.
- Development and implementation of the country resource mobilization strategy; actively participate in the preparation of the CO plans and budgets to ensure conformity with the country strategic plan and organisational grant acquisition strategy.
- Coordinate and lead market study, donor mapping and CO capture plan to ensure strong fundraising pipeline. In collaboration with the SMT, the post holder will ensure robust analysis of the funding pipeline and proactively support actions to strengthen it.
- Working in close coordination with the CO’s technical team and the Global Business Development Team, ensure that the CO pre-positions itself successfully on relevant grant funding opportunities.
- Identify and analyze funding opportunities originating in country and scope potential partnerships to complement and strengthen the CO’s program portfolio.
- Gather relevant and timely intelligence information necessary for grant acquisition; identify grant opportunities and relevant institutional guidance materials to share with relevant departments.
- Build staff and partner organization capabilities for successful grant acquisition and management.
- Lead the use of organizational system and tools (including Salesforce) to support the execution of the resource mobilization strategy.
Networking and Relationship Building
- Maintain proactive, coordinated and strategic engagement with potential donors.
- Identify key stakeholders and networks relevant to priority pipeline opportunities for effective prepositioning and support the CO to engage in strategic partnerships with civil society, INGOs, UN and government entities as appropriate, to maximise the use of our resources for the implementation of quality programs.
- Ensure business development documentation and material are up to date and ready for sharing with potential donors.
- Develop a donor engagement strategy for key identified donors and stakeholders relevant to priority bids.
- Effectively communicate the organization’s strategies, cultivating and managing donor/partner relationships, and providing opportunities for cooperation, networking, alliance building, learning and knowledge management across ChildFund’s work.
- Ensure business processes are in place to ensure quality proposal development in compliance with donor requirements and ChildFund’s Business Development Policy, Procedures and Practices. As a key member of the proposal development team, conduct desk reviews to inform proposal strategy, such as Go/No-go decisions, problem analysis, partnering and staffing decisions.
- In coordination with technical teams, develop evidence based ChildFund capability and experience (e.g. capacity statements, past performance references, reports and evaluations).
- Ensure adequate staffing and cost recovery is included in grant budgets and reviewed on a regular basis to ensure the right resources are available to deliver quality programs.
- Ensure the proper use of Salesforce to record funding opportunities from cultivation to award.
Knowledge Management, Learning and Sharing
- Develop and/or ensure that the teams develop learning and knowledge products that meet standards and enable organization-wide learning and sharing by documenting approaches, project and program designs and lessons, case studies and other knowledge products. Seek and leverage existing knowledge products in order to increase efficiency and effectiveness, and ensure your teams do as well.
- Develop and maintain knowledge management system for tracking opportunities from capture to award including maintaining a repository of proposal development templates, pre-award tools, program concepts, capacity statements, proposal templates, pricing tables, etc.
- Lead the management of the knowledge database to ensure information is shared among technical team, field program and other concerned staff, to capture new opportunities and track ongoing grants.
- Support global business development efforts as may be required.
- Remain alert and responsive to any child safeguarding risks, acquire relevant knowledge and skills, which will enable you to promote strong safeguarding practices, understand the child safeguarding policy and procedures and conduct yourself in a manner consistent with Child fund’s Child Safeguarding Policy.
- At least 10 years experience in business development and/or grant acquisition and management, preferably in an international development organization.
- Demonstrated experience in fundraising and donor’s expectation management.
- Familiarity with business environment with proven knowledge of commercial co-venture laws, IRS sponsorship regulations, unrelated business income tax issues, and other applicable legal and accounting rules.
- Proven ability to manage teams and work in a demanding environment.
- Excellent presentation, public speaking and interpersonal skills.
- Strong computer skills, with familiarity in using Microsoft Office suite applications (particularly Word and PowerPoint).
- Ability to establish and maintain relationships.
- Organized, detail-oriented, team player, self-starter and results-oriented individual.
- English fluency
Master’s degree in public relations/business development or other relevant area. Experience in fundraising, investor relations, marketing or closely related discipline, or equivalent relevant work experience would be considered.