About the Opportunity
Do you want to help journalism survive in the globalized, digital world? Are you an Excel person first, Word person second? Do you love being the one who can answer questions like, “Great, but how do we pay for it?” and “Does anyone know how this works?” Under the supervision of the Manager of Program Support Services, the Business Associate’s primary responsibilities are to fill in gaps, figure out tough questions, and clear out logjams that keep programs from running. If you love helping colleagues solve problems, this may be the position for you.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Internews’ Headquarters offices are currently closed, and staff are working remotely until at least 1 July 2021. This is a remote-first position, and candidates from anywhere in the world will be considered; however, you should apply with the understanding that work hours will need to be coordinated to align in part with those of colleagues in the GMT -5 time zone. Candidates who would prefer an office-based position should feel free to express this preference. This position is not eligible for relocation assistance.
Our Commitment to Fostering a Culture of Belonging
We are an organization of dynamic, mission-driven individuals who are passionate about our core values and about supporting positive change in the world. We pride ourselves on our commitment to innovation and flexibility. We believe that diverse teams are strong teams and work to support an ethic of belonging, dignity, and justice for all people. Our current team includes a mix of genders, parents, and non-parents, and people of multiple races, nationalities, ages, sexual orientations and socio-economic backgrounds. We are EEO employer and encourage candidates of all races, genders, ages, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply, and welcome those with alternative backgrounds and experiences.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities are listed below; other duties may be assigned.
Direct Program Support Services – 50%
- Tasks that direct projects may need assistance with will vary, but could include items such as:
- Assisting the Manager of Program Support Services in providing budget analysis for program portfolios;
- With support of Manager of Program Support Services, developing and monitoring subgrants and subcontracts. May include:
- Direct budget/agreement negotiation with subrecipient
- Submitting required request documentation to Grants and Contracts
- Following up with subrecipient to get responses
- Following up with program staff to get responses related to subgrant Scopes of Work and budgets
- Initial review of financial reports
- Following up with program staff for approval of subrecipient narrative reports
- Managing amendments to agreements with subrecipients
- Tracking and submitting payment requests
- Assisting Manager of Program Support Services with development of budgets for proposals for new funding opportunities or revisions to current funder approved budgets;
- Preparing, tracking and reviewing invoices, expense reimbursements, advance request, and payment requests, including review for proper codings and approvals;
- Significant communication and interaction with program staff and HQ Accounting, Human Resources, and Grants & Contracts Departments.
- Assisting in the development of Resource Sharing Agreements and other shared cost instruments for projects conducted with European funding;
- Reconciling monthly credit card statements; and
- Designing PowerPoints as needed.
- Support Manager of Program Support Services with improving and creating standards for program implementation, specifically creating, updating and maintaining program related content on SharePoint;
- Track and assist in onboarding of new business management positions, organizing training and check-in calls, providing documents, and logistics for business management staff group; and
- Other duties as assigned.
Corporate Support Services – 50%
- Assist in resolving financial and business operations issues impeding the implementation of programs;
- Track progress and assist Manager of Program Support Services with involvement in advancing Internews’ strategy from a programs perspective;
- Help with development of resources for implementing better partnerships;
- Supports Chief Programs Officer with PowerPoint and other presentation development and organizing materials for program presentations and meetings;
- Organizes surveys, interviews, and other feedback mechanisms; provides analysis of findings for follow-up to relevant staff groups;
- Supports operations for the team, including preparing, tracking and reviewing invoices, expense reimbursements and payment requests including review for proper coding and approvals;
- Responsible for reconciling monthly credit card statements; and
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications We’re Looking For:
- Very good knowledge of Microsoft Excel and eagerness to organize information via Excel a must.
- One to two years of relevant experience expected, international development experience with USAID, US Department of State, USG contracts or subcontracts, or European funding preferred.
- Educational or professional qualification in a field such as financial management, accounting, economics, management, or public administration preferred.
- Experience with SharePoint preferred.
- Excellent written and spoken English. Additional language skills such as Spanish, Arabic, French, Russian or others a plus.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills including diplomacy, tact, and the ability to listen.
- Optimism, a sense of humor, and excitement at joining a supportive, skilled, multi-cultural team that is distributed across the globe.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Proven ability to organize information, prioritize tasks, and maintain accurate records.
- Proven ability to prioritize and handle multiple ongoing assignments.
- Understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
This position is being offered and hired by Internews Network. Benefits will be consistent with Internews Network’s offerings and will be reviewed during the hiring process. Additional information can be found on our About Working for Internews page.