About the Opportunity
The Business Associate will be at the forefront of project and department-level administration helping to ensure cohesive and effective operations across a growing portfolio of technology and human rights programs. Under the supervision of the Business Manager and alongside the Grants Associate, the Business Associate will support financial management and reporting, expense entry, and administrative tracking. In addition to department-level tasks and ad hoc project support, this role will be the main point of contact for day-to-day financial administration on two USAID-funded projects: Greater Internet Freedom (GIF) and Illuminating New Solutions and Programmatic Innovations for Resilient Spaces (INSPIRES). As an administrative support position, this role also requires excellent written communication that provides friendly, supportive, creative solutions and guidance to programmatic counterparts.
Our Commitment to Fostering a Culture of Belonging
We are an organization of dynamic, mission-driven individuals who are passionate about our core values and about supporting positive change in the world. We pride ourselves on our commitment to innovation and flexibility. We believe that diverse teams are strong teams and work to support an ethic of belonging, dignity, and justice for all people. Our current team includes a mix of genders, parents, and non-parents, and people of multiple races, nationalities, ages, sexual orientations and socio-economic backgrounds. We are EEO employer and encourage candidates of all races, genders, ages, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply, and welcome those with alternative backgrounds and experiences.
Right now, all Internews offices are closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic, and Internews staff are working remotely until at least 1 July 2021. The ideal candidate for this role will be based in the DC area and able to come to the downtown DC office once it reopens. Until that time, this position will function remotely and remote candidates will be considered.
Your Day-to-Day Responsibilities Under this Position may Include:
USAID Programs (60%)
- Work with the Business Manager to manage GIF and INSPIRES operating budgets, including reviewing and reconciling monthly expenses, updating spending projections, conducting budget meetings with project leads, and correcting/updating budget structures and formulas as needed.
- Process payments and expense recodes in coordination with Internews’ Accounting department, ensuring proper coding in accordance with funder requirements and internal policies and procedures.
- Manage payments to suppliers, consultants, and grantees in coordination with the Grants Associate – ensuring payments arrive in a timely manner and are logged appropriately on internal trackers.
- Communicate regularly with headquarters’ business administration teams (Finance and Accounting, Audit, Human Resources, etc.) to ensure project-level financial management and reporting complies with Internews policy and USAID regulations
- Prepare documentation for advance requests, expense reimbursements, stipend requests, asset acquisition and disposal, and other financial processes as needed
- Support quarterly financial reporting in coordination with Internews’ Financial Reporting team
- Investigate financial discrepancies and deficiencies
- Assists with audits inquiries and gathering supporting documentation
Other GTP Programs (25%)
- Assist with administrative start up and close out of projects
- Provide support in ensuring project spending complies with funder requirements and Internews’ policies and procedures
- Help project leads update operating budgets and make decisions regarding spending and project planning based on implementation needs/changes and monitor direct cost line shift in program budgets
- Enter expense recode requests into Internews’ ERP system
- Assist Business Manager with the development/ management of budgets for European funders and alliance operations administration
- Provide surge capacity and coverage for project teams as needed
- Support new staff onboarding and training
Department Administration (15%)
- Support the design, implementation, and maintenance of department-wide tools and processes for tasks such as budget tracking, contract management, and document storage
- Assist with financial forecasting at the project and department level
- Draft budgets and budget narratives during proposal development processes
- Track and update new business opportunities in Salesforce
- Provide ad hoc financial and administrative support to management as requested
- Reconcile monthly statements for the department credit card
- Understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications We’re Looking For:
- 1-3 years’ experience, preferably in a nonprofit setting
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience required in accounting, finance, or related field
- Demonstrated ability to explain complex concepts to those who are unfamiliar with them
- Experience preparing and/or tracking expense reports and budgets
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Superior analytical ability
- Proven ability to multi-task and prioritize a shifting workload
- Proven ability to operate effectively in a multicultural environment
- Professional-level fluency in English.
**Candidates who do not have these preferred qualifications, but are interested and willing to learn are still encouraged to apply**
- Working knowledge of U.S. Government regulations and compliance issues.
- Knowledge of finance and accounting best practices, procedures and administrative practices, including Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Proficiency in languages others than English
This position is being offered and hired by Internews Network. Benefits will be consistent with Internews Network’s offerings and will be reviewed during the hiring process. Additional information can be found on our Internews Benefits page.