About the Opportunity
The Business and Operations Analyst reports directly to the Business Manager for Asia and supports overall administration of acquisition contracts, procurements, compliance with funder requirements and Internews policy and budgeting under the USAID-funded Investing in Independent Media project in Myanmar. As an administrative support position, this role will serve as the main liaison between the Myanmar project team and HQ support teams, requiring excellent written communication that provides clear and informative guidance, creative solutions and organizational support to Investing in Independent Media project team and Asia Regional support team. You’re an ideal candidate if you thrive in fast-paced, complex environments and have a passion for generating creative solutions.
This position will ultimately be based in our Arcata, California Headquarters office. However, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, all Internews’ Headquarters staff are working remotely and will do so until at least July 1, 2021. Until the situation meaningfully changes, this position will also function remotely. Candidates wishing to work remotely from a compatible time zone – UTC -7 or UTC -8 – will also be considered.
Our Commitment to Fostering a Culture of Belonging
We are an organization of dynamic, mission-driven individuals who are passionate about our core values and about supporting positive change in the world. We pride ourselves on our commitment to innovation and flexibility. We believe that diverse teams are strong teams and work to support an ethic of belonging, dignity, and justice for all people. Our current team includes a mix of genders, parents, and non-parents, and people of multiple races, nationalities, ages, sexual orientations and socio-economic backgrounds. We are EEO employer and encourage candidates of all races, genders, ages, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply, and welcome those with alternative backgrounds and experiences.
Key Responsibilities include the following:
- Serves as primary liaison between Myanmar-based teams and HQ on finance, HR, and compliance issues, requiring significant communication and interaction with program staff and HQ Accounting, Human Resources and Grants & Contracts Departments;
- Responsible for monitoring compliance of international subcontracts;
- Assists with development of budget and approval requests for proposed grants under contract;
- Provides guidance and support to local project team on compliance and management of locally awarded service contracts and grants under contract;
- Provides training to Asia Regional HQ team and other country teams on contract compliance, drawing from experience monitoring finance and compliance issues under the Investing in Independent Media Project;
- Provides direct support to the Business Manager and DCOP with monthly expense tracking;
- Reviews invoices, expense reimbursements, advance requests, and payment requests, including review of proper coding and approvals;
- Completes internal requests for procurement of goods and services as needed;
- Provides clerical and administrative support to business management needs as requested;
- Other duties as assigned;
- In all duties, an understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
Qualifications We’re Looking For:
- Experience working in a fast-paced office environment, preferably in a finance or grants management-related role
- Relevant University degree or equivalent professional experience
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Demonstrated intermediate expertise in Microsoft Office, particularly Excel
- Proven ability to set priorities, manage time effectively and handle ongoing assignments
- Demonstrated analytical and problem-solving abilities
- Proven ability to work both independently and as an effective team member
- Demonstrated confidence in liaising with diverse stakeholders, both internal and external
- High degree of social adaptation and sensitivity to cultural differences
- Willingness to work flexible hours to accommodate multiple time zones preferred
- Familiarity with USG rules and regulations, particularly USAID and US Department of State
- Familiarity with the FAR a plus
- Previous experience working with an International NGO a plus
This position is being offered and hired by Internews Network. Benefits will be consistent with Internews Network’s offerings and will be reviewed during the hiring process. Additional information can be found on our About Working for Internews page.