The WIT Project will contribute to the overall objective of conserving water in Jordan, through the adoption of proven water-saving technologies and techniques, by achieving three integrated outcomes: 1) Water conserving technologies and behavior changes are adopted at the agricultural, community and household levels; 2) Access to financing for adoption of water conservation technology is improved; and 3) Institutions strengthened to support water saving technologies. WIT partners include International Water Management Institute (IWMI) and International Center for Bio- saline Agriculture (ICBA) and four other local partners.
The WIT project’s working theory is that by encouraging market growth in both Agricultural and Household water saving technology industries, Jordan’s water efficiency in these industries will increase and continue to grow beyond the program. To achieve this growth, WIT is using a market-based development approach which includes working with private and public sector market actors to overcome key constraints to market growth. Through the WIT project’s efforts to date, the project has identified a number of private sector market actors who can play a key role in leading their industries to achieve both the market actors’ goals and WIT’s goals. WIT is therefore seeking a professional who will work closely with these market actors to assess their capacities, especially concerning company and product marketing, and identify ways that WIT can support their growth in regards to water-saving technologies.
The Business Advisor will play a key role in the program’s market actor facilitation strategy. They will lead in building and maintaining relationships with market actor (primarily private sector) leadership and develop facilitative interventions to meet the program’s market change objectives.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Act as a focal point to build and maintain close working relationships with pre-identified market actors in both the agricultural and household technology markets.
- In coordination with other WIT team members, regularly meet with the market actors to develop and implement market growth interventions. This includes:
- Developing an understanding of target market actors’ current business and business model (products, markets, sales, market share, organization, expertise, challenges, current value proposition, etc.);
- Explore the market actors’ future plans vis-a-vis water saving technologies (including what they want to achieve, opportunities for future growth, etc.);
- Based on observed challenges and potential constraints, propose and co-develop potential intervention areas where the WIT Team could assist the market actor to carry out their development plans;
- Conduct a rapid assessment of the market actor’s capacity to carry out the development plan;
- Where relevant, lead in the design of cluster groups of market actors, or clusters of market development activities that will benefit a group of targeted market actors, by building buy-in and managing implementation;
- Lead completed intervention applications from market actors through the program’s Investment Fund approval process.
- Coordinate the WIT Team’s support, including working closely with the Communication Team and MEL Team, to implement and monitor the market actor-led intervention(s).
- Develop progress and/or research reports for program management as needed.
- Conduct market research as needed to identify key market actors in a new or related sector..
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically
to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Reports Directly To: Market Systems Advisor
Works Directly With: Team Leaders, COP, DCOP, Operations Manager
Knowledge and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in business marketing, finance, relevant engineering field, or a related field is required, and MBA holders are preferred;
- At least 8 years of experience developing and/or assessing business/marketing strategies is required;
- Proven experience maintaining relationships with private sector business, especially in an advisory role, is required;
- Proven experience showing creativity, problem solving, and strategy development is strongly preferred;
- Prior experience working with agribusinesses and/or household technology businesses strongly preferred;
- Experience working on USAID-funded projects preferred;
- Ability to work under pressure, independently and with limited supervision.
- Fluency in English. Arabic is a plus.
- Excellent communication and writing skills.
- Office productivity in Windows, Microsoft Office Suite, Internet Applications.
The successful candidate for this position will be able to quickly analyze an organization/business’s strengths and weaknesses. They will also show an ability to come up with creative ways to solve challenges. They will be able to respectfully guide decision-makers in their activities. Finally, the successful candidate will be self-guided but able to excel while working in a complex team.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions
This position is based in Amman, Jordan, which is an accompanied post. Jordan is middle-income country with excellent education, medical, and other facilities in the capital Amman. Jordan is a very safe country with excellent communications, transportation, and housing infrastructure. Although neighboring countries continue to experience political unrest, Jordan has been a stable monarchy for over 30 years and the destination preference for many people from the Middle East to relax or gain access to available services. In recent years, events unfolding in Syria and Iraq have increased local concerns over the continued stability of Jordan but to date there have been no major incidents.
This position may requires up to 30% travel to countries in the region.
Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours when deployed in a field posting or on a visit/TDY to a field posting. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Fostering a diverse and open workplace is an important part of Mercy Corps’ vision. Mercy Corps is an Equal Opportunity Employer regardless of background. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment.