The Clinical Operations Department is responsible for providing technical support to PIH sites with operational and programmatic guidance with regards to supply chain, logistics, IT, Data management, diagnostics, pharmacy, systems and infrastructure.
The Biomed Manager is part of the global Clinical Operations team and is responsible for working with the clinical, clinical operations, and laboratory teams, as well as logistics, supply chain and medical device experts to care delivery sites’ needs, support with developing a biomed strategy, and ensure that operational aspects of the work have the necessary management structure in place. Besides coordinating the biomed functions, the goal is to create or strengthen existing biomedical capacity across PIH sites, working with local teams to provide mentorship and technical guidance. Responsibilities will also include resource mobilization and partnership development. The position will involve significant support to our care delivery sites, including training and technical assistance and will require substantial travel, in particular during the first two years.
Operational and Strategic Planning
- Support the development of a biomed annual operational plan, positioning biomed as a strong function within the organization, its work and increasing collaboration with other teams (clinical, supply chain, logistics, medical devices and labs)
- Working with the care delivery sites, and supported by the Associate Director for Facilities, coordinate the biomed strategy and annual plan implementation ensuring that operational plans are developed and aligned with the operations budget
- Lead networking with technical experts and companies that have the potential to support PIH’s work, engaging with site leads and collaborating during grant applications and/or fundraising that have a diagnostics and biomed focus
- Develop and maintain a communication platform with site biomed staff to exchange information and documents that support their operations
Biomed and Facilities Service and Support
- Work with care delivery site teams to develop standards for preventative maintenance and calibration for equipment, including both biomedical and other facilities equipment
- Maintain a database for preventative maintenance, calibration, service contracts, and warranties and ensure that there are no gaps in coverage or service
- Capitalize on existing local resources across the PIH supported sites, ensuring ongoing communication with biomed and facilities leads at sites, cross-site sharing, and providing continued technical and operational support through regular sites visits
- Provide training and/or coordinate training for biomed staff as needed, and maintain a database of training resources and user manuals for priority equipment
- Work with site leads to develop and implement a plan for a cross-site inventory of priority biomedical equipment and establish optimal replacement schedule/budget
- Manage process for equipment repair coming through the Boston office (ex. istat analyzers, ultrasounds) and coordinate return to the sites
Sourcing and Supplier Partnerships
- Support the Facilities Associate Director in the collaborative creation and implementation of a multi-year plan for increased support for facilities, infrastructure and biomed to support increased funding and other resources
- Respond to and process requests for spare parts from sites. Work with site biomedical and facilities staff to identify and quantify ad hoc requests and spare parts inventory
- Negotiate service contracts and extended warranties with vendors, optimizing cross-site volume
- Conduct research on new equipment needs and preferred equipment models as needed
- Act as lead on assigned equipment donation and distribution projects
- Collaborate with development on partnership and GIK opportunities
- Solid technical background on biomed with a degree in engineering or biomedical technology and with experience working with diagnostics equipment including lab equipment, and other diagnostic equipment, such as x-ray, ultrasounds, CT Scan and others
- Experience with Biomed general management, planning and implementing standard procedures and protocols
- Knowledge on quality, safety and biosafety management
- Knowledge on troubleshooting and providing guidance and mentorship to local teams
- Resourceful, being able to capitalize on existing teams and tools and with strategic thinking
- Ability to work well with a diverse team, prioritizing and honoring the concerns and priorities of staff of care delivery sites
- Computer literate with knowledge of word processing, spreadsheets, graphics, and statistical programs
- Fluency in English is required. Comfort with French, Haitian Creole and/or Spanish are an asset
Partners In Health (PIH) is an international health organization relentlessly committed to improving the health of the poor and marginalized. PIH partners with local governments to build local capacity and works closely with impoverished communities to deliver high-quality health care, address the root causes of illness, train providers, advance research, and advocate for global policy change. PIH currently has implementation programs in Haiti, Rwanda, Lesotho, Liberia, Malawi, Peru, Mexico, Kazakhstan, Sierra Leone, Russia, and Navajo Nation.
Partners In Health (PIH) is committed to the fundamental principle of equal opportunity and equal treatment for every prospective and current employee. It is the policy of PIH not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, age, religion, creed, disability, sex and gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law. PIH works in and with a number of governments in and outside the U.S., and to the extent applicable, this statement is intended to incorporate the prohibition of any unlawful discrimination covered by applicable laws in such countries, states and municipalities.