BASIC PURPOSE: The General Board of Global Ministries (GBGM), the global mission agency of The United Methodist Church (UMC), requires a Bi-Lingual Program Assistant to assist one or more executive staff persons for its work in the Asia Pacific region. The person in this position is assigned to perform administrative and full secretarial functions of a responsible and confidential nature, using independent judgment and tact; requires the undertaking of complex tasks, as well as a thorough knowledge of the Board and the programs and procedures of the assigned unit. Must be a fluent speaker in English and at least one Asian language, preferably Chinese or Japanese with the ability to read, write and accurately translate letters and documents from one language to the other. Some interpretation may be required. She/he must have a thorough knowledge of the Board, its policies and procedures, and its structure – both in staffing and in its governing body.
Though Methodist-affiliation is not required, qualified candidates must possess the ability to analyze and evaluate the context in which the Church is called to Christian ministry, develop and sustain collegial relationships and mission partnerships in the assigned region. The candidate should have some experience working in a Global, intercultural, and interfaith context.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Responsible for mail distribution, invoice processing, scheduling activities; general clerical work and telephone support.
- Compose and edit correspondences in accordance with Board Policies and procedures.
- Responsible for record-keeping, filing and maintaining various files and resources for the office.
- Gather and summarize data and prepare reports as requested by supervisor.
- Coordinate collection and preparation of materials as needed for meetings, executives’ travel and other events.
- Provide translation and interpretation requests in the office.
- Schedule appointments, arrange and prepare for meetings, make travel arrangements, and assist in processing the supervisors’ reimbursable expenses.
- Processes the release of National in Mission (NIM)), Mission Opportunities Book (MOB), Program Development Proposal (PDP) grants for the Asia Pacific office; send reminders according to the deadlines set for evaluation reports to be submitted; acknowledge receipt of these reports, and facilitates their uploading on the DDI.
- Assist with Letters of Agreement (LOA), Addendums, Missionary Placement Proposal (MPP) and travel expenses for Missionaries.
- Provide some logistical support for Global Mission Fellows assigned to the Asia Pacific region, as requested.
- Prepare standard paperwork such as correspondence, forms, bills, statements, receipts, checks, or other documents using established procedures.
- Help provide hospitality when mission partners and missionaries in the region come to visit.
- Back up Program Assistants assigned to other regions.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Proficiency in English and either Chinese or Japanese, accuracy in grammar, punctuation, and good composition skills required.
- Computer skills: Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
- Minimum of three (3) years of responsible administrative experience necessary.