The BASICS Specialist in C++ Development will work closely with KeePassXC to develop and implement new features, support code review, respond to sisues, improve testing, and nurture and grow a community of developers and contributors that will further long-term sustainability for the tool. KeePassXC is an open source cross-platform password manager.
This is a paid position on a 6-month, part-time contract. The Specialist will be expected to work approximately 20 hours per week. This is a remote-first consultancy, and candidates from any time zone are welcome to apply.
ABOUT BASICS SPECIALISTS
Internews’ BASICS project (Building Analytical and Support Infrastructure for Critical Security tools) is improving the sustainability of critical open source privacy and security tools by building ties between tool teams and the communities they serve. Many powerful and widely used open source security and privacy tools are maintained by individuals or small groups of volunteers who are often under-resourced, lack the ability to receive grant grant funding, and do not have the means to hire additional support to advance their project’s goals.
Internews will place skilled individuals with open source tool teams as contributing specialists who will help address tool needs. Contributing specialists will be supervised and supported by Internews and connected with a partner from the tool team(s) for mentoring and coordination.
OUR COMMITMENT TO FOSTERING A CULTURE OF BELONGING
We are an organization of dynamic, mission-driven individuals who are passionate about our core values and about supporting positive change in the world. We pride ourselves on our commitment to innovation and flexibility. We believe that diverse teams are strong teams and work to support an ethic of belonging, dignity, and justice for all people. Our current team includes a mix of genders, parents, and non-parents, and people of multiple races, nationalities, ages, sexual orientations and socio-economic backgrounds. We are EEO employer and encourage candidates of all races, genders, ages, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply, and welcome those with alternative backgrounds and experiences.
SCOPE OF WORK
- Consolidate platform features into separate modules
- Separate the GUI component from the library component
- Implement templating support for entries
- Incorporate biometric technology supporting quick unlock
- Support improvements in the test suite
- Conduct code reviews and other testing techniques as determined by the open source team
- Respond to open issues
- Review, organize, and curate issues to make them accessible for external contributors to resolve
- Perform other tasks as agreed upon with the open source tool team
QUALIFICATIONS WE’RE LOOKING FOR
The specialist should have…
- Experience contributing to Open Source tools and familiarity with collaboration platforms like GitHub or GitLab
- Working knowledge of C++
- Experience using Qt 5 to write cross-platform applications
- Solid knowledge of best practices for developing safe and secure software applications
- Strong communication skills
- Enthusiasm for community engagement
- Demonstrated understanding of and commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
- Experience with testing
- Experience with code review
- Lived experience in Internet environments facing challenges emerging from electricity and bandwidth limitations, censorship, surveillance, and other oppressive, anti-open-internet activities
The Specialist should demonstrate enthusiasm for Open Source software, excitement to learn, and commitment to freedom of speech and journalist safety.
Please submit your CV and optionally a cover letter.