The BASICS Specialist in Android development will work closely with the CalyxOS development team to develop and implement user experience designs and Android apps that will further sustainability of the project. This position has the flexibility to be tailored for someone with more expertise on the UX Design side or the Android Development side, depending on the background and interests of the applicant.
This is a paid position on a 6-month part-time contract.
About BASICS Specialists:
Internews’ BASICS project (Building Analytical and Support Infrastructure for Critical Security tools) is improving the sustainability of critical open source privacy and security tools by building ties between tool teams and the communities they serve. Many powerful and widely used open source security and privacy tools are maintained by individuals or small groups of volunteers who are often under-resourced, lack the ability to receive grant funding, and do not have the means to hire additional support to advance their project’s goals.
Internews will place skilled individuals with open source tool teams as contributing specialists who will help address tool needs. Contributing specialists will be supervised and supported by Internews and connected with a partner from the tool team(s) for mentoring and coordination.
Internews is a very diverse organization globally. We value the perspectives that result from the inclusivity of different voices, and the foundation of our work is to support free and open communications between all people. We are an organization of dynamic, mission-driven individuals who are passionate about our core values and about supporting positive change in the world. We pride ourselves on our commitment to innovation and flexibility. We are an EEO employer and strongly encourage people from all backgrounds to apply for any of our open positions.
SCOPE OF WORK
The expected Level of Effort for the Specialist will be approximately 20 hours per week contributing to activities such as the following:
- Provide engineering support to develop UIs for Android
- Implement existing User Experience designs for Android
- Support the development of Android applications for a mobile phone operating system, such as a secure cloud backup, integration of Tor into existing Android apps, a user feedback app, and others
- Prototype a simple companion web app for non-technical users to visualize metadata the tool captures
This position is a great match for either an experienced designer with some Android development skills OR an Android developer with some UX background.
- Experience with Android development at the OS and/or App level
- Familiarity with common Android software development tools such as git and gradle
- Basic understanding of User Experience design principles
- Some familiarity with UX for journalists and human rights defenders
- Comfort with the Linux operating system
- Experience with infrastructure-as-code, either server configuration management (e.g. Ansible, Puppet, etc.) or container orchestration
- Familiarity with sysdev tools, such as ssh and git
- Lived experience in Internet environments facing challenges emerging from electricity and bandwidth limitations, censorship, surveillance, and other oppressive, anti-open-internet activities
The Specialist should demonstrate enthusiasm for Open Source software, excitement to learn, and commitment to freedom of speech and journalist safety.
CalyxOS is a security and privacy focused variant of the Android operating system designed for journalists, human rights defenders, and regular users of mobile smartphones. CalyxOS reconfigures the Android operating system to remove privacy-invasive features; increases security through crytopgraphically verified secure boot and integration of open source tools into the OS; and provides security and privacy by default through the inclusion of privacy, security, and censorship circumvention apps available; and provides monthly security updates so that CalyxOS receives the latest security updates for Android, fixing software vulnerabilities and security flaws that can put your phon eat risk.
To apply, please submit your resume and optionally a cover letter. Please enter ‘1234’ in the Annual Salary required field when submitting your application. You will be asked to provide your Hourly Rate before submitting your application.