About the Opportunity
The BASICS Specialist in Testing & Quality Assurance (QA) will work closely with Qubes to improve processes that will further long-term sustainability for the tool. Qubes OS is an open source operating system that supports at-risk journalists and human rights organizations; their team is participating in Internews’ BASICS project.
About BASICS Specialists
Internews’ BASICS project (Building Analytical and Support Infrastructure for Critical Security tools) is improving the sustainability of critical open source privacy and security tools by building ties between tool teams and the communities they serve. Many powerful and widely used open source security and privacy tools are maintained by individuals or small groups of volunteers who are often under-resourced, lack the ability to receive grant funding, and do not have the means to hire additional support to advance their project’s goals.
Internews will place skilled individuals with open source tool teams as contributing specialists who will help address tool needs. Contributing specialists will be supervised and supported by Internews and connected with a partner from the tool team(s) for mentoring and coordination.
Our Commitment to a Culture of Belonging
Internews is a very diverse organization globally. We value the perspectives that result from the inclusivity of different voices, and the foundation of our work is to support free and open communications between all people. We are an organization of dynamic, mission-driven individuals who are passionate about our core values and about supporting positive change in the world. We pride ourselves on our commitment to innovation and flexibility. We are an EEO employer and strongly encourage people from all backgrounds to apply for any of our open positions.
About Qubes OS
Qubes OS is a free and open-source, security-oriented operating system for single-user desktop computing. Qubes OS leverages Xen-based virtualization to allow for the creation and management of isolated compartments called qubes.
Scope of Work
This is a paid position on a 6-month part-time contract with a budgeted rate of $30-50 USD per hour.
The Specialist will be expected to work approximately 20 hours per week contributing to activities such as the following:
- Support improvements in the test suite, particularly to ensure reliability of tests
- Analyze failed test reports, investigate intermittent failures, stabilize tests
- Improve utilization of tests results analysing tools (built in openQA and others)
- Write new test cases
- Perform other tasks as required by the open source tool team
For background on how Qubes approaches testing, see here:
For an example test report (python unittest, imported into openQA), see here:
Qualifications We’re Looking For
The specialist should have:
- Experience contributing to Open Source tools and familiarity with collaboration platforms like GitHub or GitLab
- Working knowledge of Python
- Demonstrated understanding of testing theory (unit tests, integration tests, smoke tests, etc.)
- Familiarity with at least one Python unit testing framework (unittest, pytest, etc.)
Preferred Qualifications :
- Knowledge of some integration test frameworks (e.g. dogtail, openQA, sikuli, selenium)
- Basic understanding of perl
- Lived experience in Internet environments facing challenges emerging from electricity and bandwidth limitations, censorship, surveillance, and other oppressive, anti-open-internet activities
The specialist should demonstrate enthusiasm for Open Source software, excitement to learn, and commitment to freedom of speech and journalist safety.
Submit your resume and optional cover letter. You may skip all questions in the Work and Education History section.