The BASICS Specialist in Issue and Code Management will work closely with two tools to track and triage issues, develop tooling to support automated code review, and conducted quality assurance testing that will further long-term sustainability for the tools. Qubes OS is an open source operating system that supports at-risk journalists and human rights organizations; their team is participating in Internews’ BASICS project. Save is an easy-to-use app designed to help you store, share and amplify your mobile media while ensuring your identity remains protected. The Save team is participating in Internews’ BASICS project.
This is a paid position on a 3-month part-time contract.
About BASICS Specialists
Internews’ BASICS project (Building Analytical and Support Infrastructure for Critical Security tools) is improving the sustainability of critical open source privacy and security tools by building ties between tool teams and the communities they serve. Many powerful and widely used open source security and privacy tools are maintained by individuals or small groups of volunteers who are often under-resourced, lack the ability to receive grant funding, and do not have the means to hire additional support to advance their project’s goals.
Internews will place skilled individuals with open source tool teams as contributing specialists who will help address tool needs. Contributing specialists will be supervised and supported by Internews and connected with a partner from the tool team(s) for mentoring and coordination.
Internews is a very diverse organization globally. We value the perspectives that result from the inclusivity of different voices, and the foundation of our work is to support free and open communications between all people. We are an organization of dynamic, mission-driven individuals who are passionate about our core values and about supporting positive change in the world. We pride ourselves on our commitment to innovation and flexibility. We are an EEO employer and strongly encourage people from all backgrounds to apply for any of our open positions.
SCOPE OF WORK
The Specialist will be expected to work approximately 20 hours per week contributing to activities such as the following:
Issue Triage and Prioritization
- Help triage issues and pull requests for all tool repositories, with emphasis on community contributions
- Recommend process improvements in areas such as issue triage and prioritization
- Develop methods for automating reminders about aged issues or PRs that require follow-up
- Review, organize, and curate old issues to make them accessible for external contributors to resolve
Quality Assurance and Testing
- Develop tooling to support automated code review (e.g. – when a contributor introduces a change to the system that causes a break in functionality, a notification is generated)
- Fix existing issues in scripts
- Quality assurance testing to report and track bugs more efficiently
- Experience contributing to Open Source tools and familiarity with collaboration platforms like GitHub or GitLab
- Experience writing automation scripts or configuring automation tools
- Experience with CI/CD (continuous integration, continuous delivery, and continuous deployment)
- Experience with testing tools (such as Travis CI, openQA, Python unittest or similar)
- Enthusiasm for community engagement
- Preferred: Lived experience in Internet environments facing challenges emerging from electricity and bandwidth limitations, censorship, surveillance, and other oppressive, anti-open-internet activities.
The specialist should demonstrate enthusiasm for Open Source software, excitement to learn, and commitment to freedom of speech and journalist safety.
ABOUT THE TOOLS
Qubes OS is a free and open-source security-oriented operating system meant for single-user desktop computing.
Save is an easy-to-use app designed to help you store, share, and amplify your mobile media while ensuring your identity remains protected.
To apply, please submit your resume and optionally a cover letter. Please enter ‘1234’ in the Annual Salary required field when submitting your application. You will be asked to provide your Hourly Rate before submitting your application.