The BASICS Specialist in Android development will take over primary development and maintenance on an existing mobile application, Save. Save is an easy-to-use app designed to help you store, share and amplify your mobile media while ensuring your identity remains protected. The Save team is participating in Internews’ BASICS project. The role will work closely with the Product Lead, to determine priority of work to be completed, set milestones and deliver from development to full releases.
This is a paid position on a 6-month part-time contract.
About BASICS Specialists
Internews’ BASICS project (Building Analytical and Support Infrastructure for Critical Security tools) is improving the sustainability of critical open source privacy and security tools by building ties between tool teams and the communities they serve. Many powerful and widely used open source security and privacy tools are maintained by individuals or small groups of volunteers who are often under-resourced, lack the ability to receive grant funding, and do not have the means to hire additional support to advance their project’s goals.
Internews will place skilled individuals with open source tool teams as contributing specialists who will help address tool needs. Contributing specialists will be supervised and supported by Internews with a partner from the tool team(s) for mentoring and collaboration.
Internews is a very diverse organization globally. We value the perspectives that result from the inclusivity of different voices, and the foundation of our work is to support free and open communications between all people. We are an organization of dynamic, mission-driven individuals who are passionate about our core values and about supporting positive change in the world. we pride ourselves on our commitment to innovation and flexibility. We are an EEO employer and strongly encourage people from all backgrounds to apply for any of our open positions.
Scope of Work
The Specialist will be expected to work approximately 10 hours per week contributing to activities such as the following:
- Confidently take the reins of the overall project engineering processes, including:
- Software build and release
- Version control management
- Software testing
- Act as the lead engineer and be responsible for pushing releases to app store(s), markets and other distribution points.
- Be the team’s primary internal contributor of original project code.
- Experience building Android applications in Java (or Kotlin) using the Android SDK and/or iOS applications developed in Swift
- Experience with networking code, background uploads, services
- Experience with cloud storage via Dropbox, WebDAV and other APIs and services
Preferred Qualifications (nice to have but not required)
- Experience with security software and standards.
- Experience with open-source and community-led projects.
- The ability to assist in the localization of software to different regions/languages.
- Lived experience in Internet environments facing challenges emerging from electricity and bandwidth limitations, censorship, surveillance, and other oppressive, anti-open-internet activities.
We are looking for mobile application developers of all levels. Your skills could range from user interface design down to the core app work at the network and data level. Experienced developers should have at least one app released in public.
The Specialist should demonstrate enthusiasm for Open Source software, excitement to learn, and commitment to freedom of speech and journalist safety.
Save is an easy-to-use app designed to help you store, share, and amplify your mobile media while ensuring your identity remains protected.
To apply, please submit your resume and optionally a cover letter. Please enter ‘1234’ in the Annual Salary required field when submitting your application. You will be asked to provide your Hourly Rate before submitting your application.