With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share our Core Values of Respect, Results, Innovation, Optimism, and Integrity, and support our Commitment to Diversity.
This position could be based in any US EDF Office or could potentially be a remote, work from home opportunity.
About the team:
EDF requires bold and creative thinking in the social media space and requires a talented individual to develop a complementary organic and paid strategy. You will have the fluency to translate brand/ campaign level messages to social and to align EDF’s messaging on the right channels with constant adjustment and adaptation based on the analytics.
EDF is hiring a full-time AVP of Social Media to expand our brand presence and engage our audience across social media platforms. Reporting to our VP, Content and Brand, this role will strategically combine art and science to ensure EDF’s key messages are resonant on all appropriate channels. You will be responsible for developing social media content that fosters a deep sense of community and grows both brand engagement and fosters a pipeline of new donors and advocates. You will manage a small team of social media producers and will collaborate closely with EDF’s Programs, Communications, Development, Membership, Editorial, Design, Web, Performance Marketing and Content Teams. Additionally, you will collaborate with EDF Action, Defend our Future and Mom’s Clean Air Force as required.
Responsibilities will include:
- Conceive and implement the overall social media strategy for official brand channels. (Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn) for all content initiatives.
- Lead and mentor a team of social media strategists, effectively managing workflow across the team.
- Understand all the component parts of the business globally – Programs, Communications, Membership, Development, Performance Marketing and Content Teams and drive value through social strategy/tactics.
- Lead internal pitch meetings to optimize timely news and culture content, setting the posting schedule across multiple social media channels.
- Develop an influencer program, and work with the Cause Marketing team to amplify the EDF brand through partner channels.
- Develop scopes of work and manage project details/deadlines in a fast-paced environment that adheres to the milestones in the editorial calendar but can pivot quickly based on breaking news.
- Manage a team of Social Media Producers, creating clear accountabilities, processes and operations for the team.
- Edit and approve all social media posts, ensuring alignment with voice, brand and content tentpoles.
- Establish the appropriate hierarchy for EDF’s news presence on Twitter and develop social listening capabilities to help EDF understand when to start or join conversations relevant to our sphere of influence.
- Administration of all third-party and internal social media tools and content management systems for social
- Stay on top of the latest social media trends, innovations and opportunities.
- Interface with paid advertising managers to deliver holistic social media strategies.
- Work in tandem with the creative team to build unique, social-first brand content.
- Use data analytics to optimize all social media campaigns, using levers such as customer targeting, lead generation, acquisition, content and format
Qualified candidates should possess:
- 12+ years of experience in social media marketing, with proven examples of strategies driving strong ROI.
- Experience across wide range of social media channels including, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn and YouTube and social management/listening platforms such as Sprout Social, Buzzsumo, Spriklr, Hootsuite, Khoros and Percolate.
- Experience with influencer marketing.
- Solid experience managing a social media team in a social or digital agency.
- Ability to drive content strategy and write compelling copy.
- Experience managing content calendars and deliverables.
- Deep understanding of and/or experience working with environmental justice and climate justice issues.
- Superior presentation, communication, organizational and time management skills, with experience presenting to Senior and VP-level executives.
- Strong storytelling skills with the ability to communicate complex strategic campaign concepts in streamlined, logical and well-designed presentations.
- Proven experience with A/B testing and program optimization.
- Deep understanding of social media analytics and turning data into actionable insights.
- Strong managerial skills and the ability to uphold an environment of learning, growth and mentorship within a growing team.
- Passion for environmental stewardship and social justice.
- A talent for identifying developing trends.
- A player/coach mentality who can think big picture while still rolling up their sleeves.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant’s qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.