Close relatives1 of ADB staff, except spouses of international staff, are not eligible for recruitment and appointment to staff positions. Applicants are expected to disclose if they have any relative/s by consanguinity/blood, by adoption and/or by affinity/marriage presently employed in ADB.
1 Close relatives refer to spouse, children, mother, father, brother and sister, niece, nephew, aunt and uncle
Staff on probation are not eligible to apply. Applicants for promotion must have served at their position for at least one year and must have normally served at their personal level for at least two years immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date. Applicants for lateral transfer must have served at their position and personal level for at least one year immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date (reference A.O. 2.03, paragraphs 5.8 and 5.9).
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
The position is assigned in the Operations Planning and Coordination Division (SPOP) within the Strategy, Policy and Partnerships Department (SPD). SPD provides ADB with strategic planning perspective and direction, ensures policy and operations coordination, and maintains institutional relations with the international development community, especially on matters relating to resource mobilization. SPD has the primary responsibility for establishing and managing partnerships with official and other concessional partners including private and public financial institutions and traditional and new development partners. SPOP ensures effective resource planning of ADB operations in line with the strategic priorities, clients’ needs, and available financial resources. The division leads the allocation of concessional Ordinary Capital Resources (OCR), Asian Development Fund (ADF) grants, regular OCR and technical assistance resources.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The Associate Strategy and Policy Analyst will render analytical and technical support necessary for ADB’s institution-wide operational planning and monitoring, with specific focus on (i) lending and non-lending operations, (ii) support for ADB’s graduation policy-related work, and (iii) support for ADB’s ADF performance-based allocation framework. The position will assist in consolidating and reviewing the operational plans of ADB Departments, analyzing thematic and sectoral pipeline data, preparing key planning documents and instruments, establishing and supporting database systems, liaising with Operations and Service Departments, and will provide general data analysis as needed.
The incumbent will report to designated International Staff and senior National Staff.
- Assists in preparing ADB’s strategic and operational planning documents, through analytical and methodological inputs, including planning directions, work program and budget framework, budget document, the operational resource parameters, implementation of ADB’s graduation policy, and monitoring of ADB’s ADF operations.
- Assists in preparing ADB data for external partners such as International Aid Transparency Initiative (IATI) and the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD).
- Assists in preparing briefing notes and background material for operations review meetings with VPs and management committee meetings on operations; assists in providing analysis and information on operations to Management, including the preparation of monthly operational reports to the Office of the President (OPR), and maintains regular contact with counterparts in Operations and Service Departments.
- Assists in preparing background material for the Technical Assistance Strategic Forum meetings.
- Ensures the timely availability, accuracy, efficiency in retrieving information needed for the analysis, evaluation, formulation, and monitoring of ADB strategic objectives and operational policies by establishing, monitoring and specifying improvements to existing database systems (including external systems), as well as exercising quality control checks on required data.
- Establishes database with operational data of comparative institutions and organizations.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in Economics, Finance or Management
- At least 5 years of relevant experience in strategic planning and policy analysis
- Ability to undertake data mining and analysis on difficult but well-defined tasks, collect and organize required data and information, apply appropriate computer skills in analyzing and developing the data (strong Excel and PowerPoint skills)
- Ability to prepare notes, papers and sections of reports
- In-depth understanding of the interactions between different ADB work areas and relevant workflows and their purposes
- Demonstrated analytical thinking with ability to identify causal links and proven interpersonal skills
- Familiar with database management and data analysis; familiar with economic and policy analysis in the context of ADB’s operations.
- Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for Administrative Staff Level 6
The selected candidate, if new to ADB, is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.