To provide technical, analytical and coordination support in ensuring compliance of projects with ADB’s safeguards policies on involuntary resettlement (IR) and Indigenous Peoples (IPs). Assist in policy compliance monitoring and reporting; and identification/preparation of knowledge products, services and partnerships in social safeguards.
Under the guidance of a senior staff, contributes independently by completing a variety of task assigned, covering all or a combination of the following functions:
Safeguards Policy Compliance Review and Monitoring
Reviews project-related safeguards documents including Resettlement Plans, Resettlement Frameworks, Indigenous Peoples Plans, Indigenous Peoples Frameworks and other related draft project documents (Project Concept Papers, Report and Recommendation to the President and linked documents, Project Completion Reports).
During project processing and project implementation, assists in compiling relevant project data, visiting the project site, discussing with executing agencies, consultants and affected groups, and providing analytical inputs in the preparation of the mission Aide Memoire and back-to-office report (BTOR).
Coordinates with SARD HQ safeguards staff and Resident Mission-based safeguards specialists and officers in ensuring quality control of project documents and for safeguards-related activities.
Assists in tracking project compliance including tracking of monitoring reports
Strategic and Planning Work
Supports the review and update of policies related to social safeguards, consultation and participation, and related operations manuals.
Reviews relevant ADB policies, operations manual, staff instructions, guidelines, handbooks and suggests measures to ensure consistency with SPS policy requirements.
Supports the preparation of briefing papers, special reports and studies on safeguard policy and guidelines.
Assists in the development of knowledge products and services, including the formulation of policies, guidelines and preparation of handbooks, best practice manuals, etc., by reviewing project design and implementation experiences, liaising with project practitioners and social science experts, and monitoring the applicability of current methods.
Assists in the preparation of training modules and conduct of training programs on social safeguards.
Supports maintenance of division databases and tracking systems on social safeguards and guides and updates division staff in database maintenance.
Assists in engagement of social safeguards consultants required to support SARD in reviewing and monitoring compliance with ADB’s social requirements.
Supports the administration of technical assistance projects related to social safeguards by monitoring progress of TA implementation, contracting consultants, supporting the organization and implementation of conferences and workshops by formulating budget, activity plans and work programs, among other tasks.
Performs other duties as may be assigned and reflected in the incumbent’s workplan.
Application of Technical Knowledge and Skills
- Applies updated advancements in own knowledge area to relevant tasks
- Applies knowledge and practical skills to independently perform some complex tasks
- Conveys the need to use updated project approaches
- Delivers Divisional contributions across a variety of products and services to meet the needs of different clients
- Proposes options to clients that may better meet their needs than current approaches
- Defines and delivers to agreed standards with clients
Achieving Results and Problem Solving
- Conducts detailed research and analysis to determine appropriate methods for addressing the causes of issues
- Self-monitors achievement of results according to work plans
- Identifies different stakeholder needs and desired outcomes when planning for outcomes
- Independently solves problems and makes recommendations
- Maintains collaborative relationships within the Department
- Works effectively with diverse colleagues in own and other Divisions and Departments
- Flexibly alters positions and adjusts previously stated points of view to support the group consensus
- Follows through on team priorities in the absence of a team leader
Communication and Knowledge Sharing
- Checks with audience’s level of understanding and awareness of required follow up actions
- Consistently seeks and addresses feedback on own performance
- Creates knowledge products endorsed for wider distribution
- Independently amends and clarifies messages and documents
Innovation and Change
- Actively supports work improvement and/or organizational change by work and deed
- Develops and adopts change plans to support Division initiatives on which one works
- Considers current and future client needs in proposing ideas
- Vocalizes early support for change
- Recommends inputs to new policies, systems and processes in immediate work area
- Bachelor’s Degree in the field of sociology, social work, anthropology, development studies; preferably with advanced training
- With at least 6 years relevant experience in the field of social safeguards or related field.
- Intensive field-based experience in developing social safeguard planning documents of a project would be an advantage
- Familiarity with ADB’s Safeguards Policy Statement
- Proficiency with social impact analysis, social assessments, Resettlement Plans, Resettlement Frameworks, Indigenous Peoples Plans, Indigenous Peoples Frameworks and participatory development
- Basic knowledge of computer applications adopted by a multilateral organization.
- Competent use of information technology, particularly in the design and management of database and other knowledge management systems.
- Effective report writing and communication skills in English
People and leadership skills
- Able to guide Administrative Staff (AS) to facilitate work planning, delivery and quality review
- Strong planning and organizing skills to handle many tasks with deadlines.
- Ability to develop rapport internally and externally in a multicultural environment.
- Able to work collaboratively with teams as a constructive team member.
- Strong oral and written communications skills.
- Supervisor: Designated International Staff and/or senior National Staff
We encourage diversity in our workplace and promote an inclusive work environment.