To support the Office of the Director General, EARD (EAOD) Safeguard Unit (SU) in all relevant technical and administrative tasks; liaise with project teams and provide guidance to other project assistants and analysts in East Asia Department (EARD) who are involved in safeguard compliance monitoring.
Under the guidance of senior staff, contributes independently to the work unit by completing a variety of tasks assigned, covering all or a combination of the following functions:
Project Processing and Project Administration
Supports the review of country programming documents from a Safeguard Policy Statement (SPS) perspective.
Contributes to the review of project safeguard documentation by EAOD safeguard specialists with reference to environment, involuntary resettlement (IR) and indigenous peoples (IP).
Assists EAOD safeguard specialist(s) to review in detail Environmental Impact Assessments, Initial Environmental Examinations, Environmental Management Plans, Grievance Redress Mechanisms, Resettlement Plans, IP Plans, safeguard frameworks and other related draft documents (e.g., Project Concept Papers, Report and Recommendation to the President and link documents, and Project Completion Reports).
Follows up and liaises with project teams on the status of safeguards documentation and compliance during project processing and implementation. Suggests special actions, alternative interventions, and mitigating measures as required. Assists in tracking compliance of projects under implementation, prepares quarterly portfolio review updates and reminds project teams to follow up on compliance issues.
Drafts memos, including compliance memoranda; and monitors the status of grievances and of compliance reviews, if any.
Attends safeguard meetings as necessary, and records minutes of the initial and follow-up project meetings between EAOD safeguard specialist(s) and project teams; attends all EARD environment category “B” meetings and may also attend the Environment and Safeguards Division, RSDD (RSES) category “A” peer review meetings. Follows up with project teams on identified issues.
Maintains records of safeguard documents received by EAOD for review and comments as well as comments/correspondence received from RSES, including documentation of ADB approvals/clearances and endorsement by EAs. Ensures that EAOD comments are submitted timely and follows up on the issues with project teams and project administration staff.
Guides EARD project assistants and analysts regarding safeguard requirements of respective projects.
Confirms that safeguard documents and monitoring reports for EARD projects are disclosed and uploaded on time on the ADB website in accordance with SPS and Public Communications Policy.
Maintains the EARD safeguard databases and analyzes relevant safeguard data for all loan projects (under processing and approved) which enables periodic compliance reporting to DG EARD; identifies outstanding issues and missing information and informs project team accordingly. Keeps track of EARD climate finance investments.
May need to participate in processing or review missions of sensitive projects to compile relevant project data, visit project sites, and provide other inputs to missions.
TA Processing and Implementation
Supports EAOD SU staff in the administration of TA processing and implementation.
Provides technical information to support the preparation of special reports, knowledge products, and studies of the EAOD SU. Assists in preparing templates, best practice examples, and project safeguard databases, and making such materials available on the EARD intranet site. Assists EAOD SU to review knowledge products.
Assists EAOD safeguard specialists to develop, maintain, and improve the EARD Environment and Social Monitoring Information System (ESMIS) and other MIS. Ensures that these systems are aligned with the ADB business processes and SPS, and address the information management and monitoring requirements of EARD.
Actively participates in piloting of Country Safeguards Systems in the Peoples Republic of China. Hires consultants, reviews reports, sets focus group and public consultation events and participates in relevant missions.
Provides inputs to the EAOD SU work program and annual accomplishment review. Assists in safeguard policy compliance training programs for ADB headquarters, Resident Missions, and developing member countries (DMCs).
Internal and External Communication
Supports internal and external safeguard communication and networking activities and assists in organizing conferences and workshops. Maintains a repository of reference materials.
Performs other duties as may be assigned and reflected in the incumbent’s workplan.
Application of Technical Knowledge and Skills
- Applies updated advancements in own knowledge area to relevant tasks
- Applies knowledge and practical skills to independently perform some complex tasks
- Conveys the need to use updated project approaches
- Delivers Divisional contributions across a variety of products and services to meet the needs of different clients
- Proposes options to clients that may better meet their needs than current approaches
- Defines and delivers to agreed standards with clients
Achieving Results and Problem Solving
- Conducts detailed research and analysis to determine appropriate methods for addressing the causes of issues
- Self-monitors achievement of results according to work plans
- Identifies different stakeholder needs and desired outcomes when planning for outcomes
- Independently solves problems and makes recommendations
- Maintains collaborative relationships within the Department
- Works effectively with diverse colleagues in own and other Divisions and Departments
- Flexibly alters positions and adjusts previously stated points of view to support the group consensus
- Follows through on team priorities in the absence of a team leader
Communication and Knowledge Sharing
- Checks with audience’s level of understanding and awareness of required follow up actions
- Consistently seeks and addresses feedback on own performance
- Creates knowledge products endorsed for wider distribution
- Independently amends and clarifies messages and documents
Innovation and Change
- Actively supports work improvement and/or organizational change by work and deed
- Develops and adopts change plans to support Division initiatives on which one works
- Considers current and future client needs in proposing ideas
- Vocalizes early support for change
- Recommends inputs to new policies, systems and processes in immediate work area
- Bachelor’s degree in Environment or Social Sciences, preferably with advanced training
- At least 6 years work experience in environment, IR and/or IP/ethnic minorities safeguards (in the context of development projects, research, or NGO initiatives)
- Knowledge of project implementation
Working knowledge of ADB’s SPS and awareness about similar policies of other multilateral development banks and of ADB’s DMCs
Thorough knowledge and understanding of environmental and social dimensions in development projects and programs, particularly for ADB’s project cycle
Proficient in the development, maintenance, and administration of information management systems
Basic knowledge of ADB’s computer applications
Well versed in Microsoft Word and PowerPoint applications; excellent knowledge of Microsoft Excel
People and leadership skills
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work with individuals from different cultural/national backgrounds
- Able to work collaboratively with project teams
- Strong oral and written communications skills in English
- Supervisor: Designated International Staff and senior National Staff
We encourage diversity in our workplace and support an inclusive and respectful work environment. Women are especially encouraged to apply.