IMPORTANT INFORMATION: This vacancy is a local staff position with local remuneration package. It is open only to nationals and residents of Bangladesh.
Supports the Resident Mission (RM) in all relevant technical and administrative tasks. Liaises with RM staff and provide guidance to other administrative staff who are involved in safeguard compliance monitoring.
Under the guidance of senior staff, works independently on all or a combination of the following transactions and/or clearly defined areas, depending on the assignment /instructions from supervisors (International Staff and/or senior National Staff):
Safeguards Policy Compliance Review and Monitoring
Contributes to the review of project-related safeguards documents ensuring deadlines are met.
Assists in evaluating compliance of projects under implementation ensuring all deadlines are met, and follows-up on post-evaluations and recommendations.
Follows-up and liaises with project teams on the status of safeguards documentation and compliance during project processing and implementation. Drafts memos and monitors the status of grievance redress mechanisms and compliance reviews, if any.
Attends meetings as necessary, and records minutes of initial and follow-up project meetings with project teams.
Leads in tracking project compliance including tracking of monitoring reports. Confirms that safeguards documents and monitoring reports for RM-delegated projects are disclosed and uploaded on time on the ADB website.
Monitors inputs on the web-based safeguards tracking system and ensures that project inputs are complete and updated in a timely manner.
Assists in the preparation of South Asia Department’s (SARD’s) Annual Compliance Report based on the web-based safeguards tracking system and compiles and validates relevant safeguard data for all loan projects approved; identifies outstanding issues and missing information on the report.
From time to time, participate in processing or review missions of delegated projects with Safeguards Specialists/Officers of SARD or the RM.
Provides technical information to support the preparation of briefing papers, special reports and studies on safeguards matters. Assists in preparing templates, best practice examples, and project safeguard databases.
Leads the maintenance of the RM’s databases and tracking systems on safeguards and guides and coordinates with other RM staff in database maintenance.
Assists in engagement of safeguards consultants required to support the RM in reviewing and monitoring compliance with ADB’s safeguards requirements.
Coordinates with Portfolio, Results and Quality Control Unit (SAOD-PR) and assists in the administration of safeguards-related technical assistance projects.
Internal and External Communication
Supports internal and external safeguard communication and assists in organizing conferences and workshops.
Maintains a repository of safeguards-related reference materials.
Performs other duties as may be assigned and reflected in the incumbent’s workplan.
Application of Technical Knowledge and Skills
- Deals with routine queries and correspondence in accordance with procedures
- Proactively seeks relevant development opportunities and submits for approval
- Produces summaries and frameworks by collecting and analyzing diverse information
- Adjusts style and approach to respect and serve different clients
- Conveys messages by asking questions and using different approaches
- Identifies when a client issue requires escalation
- Responds to clients without prompts or reminders from senior colleagues
Achieving Results and Problem Solving
- Proposes solutions to minimize delays and setbacks in completing work
- Reviews all task objectives and achieves core deliverables
- Uses time management and organizational skills to promptly complete work to the required standard
- Delivers beyond the stated task objectives
- Consistently works effectively with individuals of different views, culture, nationality, gender, and age
- Consistently seeks assistance when requirements are unclear
- Provides timely updates on relevant information
- Freely shares and seeks useful knowledge and to complete work
Communication and Knowledge Sharing
- Uses effective written and oral communication in preparing documents, presentations and interactions
- Asks questions to understand how to follow up on feedback
- Locates relevant information to expedite workflow
Innovation and Change
- Adopts new policies, systems and processes in a timely fashion
- Shares ideas for how work can be completed more effectively
- Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Science/ Management or Sociology/Anthropology or related fields.
- At least 5 years of relevant experience in development projects preferably in the field of environment, involuntary resettlement and Indigenous Peoples safeguards
- Working knowledge and awareness of safeguards policies of multilateral development banks of developing countries.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of environmental and social dimensions in development projects and programs.
- Proficient in the development, maintenance and administration of information management systems.
- Basic knowledge of computer applications adopted by a multilateral organization.
- Well-versed in Microsoft Word and PowerPoint applications; excellent knowledge of Microsoft Excel.
- Effective report writing and communication skills in English.
People and leadership skills
- Able to liaise and work effectively with staff within own work location and throughout ADB.
- Able to work collaboratively with teams as a constructive team member.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills in English.
- Supervisor: Designated International Staff and senior National Staff
We encourage diversity in the workplace and encourage an inclusive work environment.