Job title: Associate Malaria Technical Advisor
Department: PMI Impact Malaria
Up to 20 % international travel
Reports to the Technical Advisor
Pending approval of funding
Who we are
With over 45 years of experience, working in over 60 countries, Population Services International (PSI) is the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization. PSI is reimagining healthcare, by putting the consumer at the center, and wherever possible – bringing care to the front door. We are working to fix market failures, shape future health markets and shift policy and funding to better support consumer empowered healthcare.
There are over 7,000 “PSI’ers” around the world. We are a diverse group of entrepreneurial development professionals with a wide range of backgrounds and experience. All with unique skills that we bring to the critically important work that we do.
Impact Malaria Program
The US Presidents Malaria Initiative (PMI) Impact Malaria project is PMI’s flagship global malaria service delivery project, helping to improve the quality and increase the delivery of malaria diagnosis and treatment services in up to 27 countries around the world. PMI Impact Malaria is a USAID contract hosted and led by PSI as the prime contractor.
PMI Impact Malaria works with national malaria control programs to help tackle these challenges by:
- Closing the gaps in malaria service delivery to get the right medicine, with the correct diagnosis, to patients in need, in the timeliest manner.
- Unlocking the potential of key drug-based approaches, by helping countries to introduce, implement, and scale-up proven innovations to move countries forward in their elimination efforts, according to each country’s unique malaria situation.
- Strengthening malaria health systems and the use of data for decision-making to link operational research and country-led dialogue with global technical leadership for the means of accelerating service delivery improvements and advancing key learnings.
The PMI Impact Malaria (IM) team is a results focused, multi-disciplined and multi-cultured team, based out of Washington DC, working through PSI country offices as well as through our partners Jhpiego, MCDI and UCSF.
The US President’s Malaria Initiative (PMI) Impact Malaria project is PMI’s flagship global malaria service delivery project, helping to improve the quality and increase the delivery of malaria diagnosis and treatment services in up to 27 countries around the world. PMI Impact Malaria is a USAID contract hosted and led by PSI as the prime contractor.
PSI is seeking an experienced, dynamic and innovation-driven Associate Malaria Technical Advisor to facilitate the scale up and growth of IM, capture and share best practices, as well as provide technical support to specific country programs to ensure high quality of and measurable impact through their malaria programs. This Associate TA will be responsible for ensuring technical rigor on the implementation of malaria service delivery activities in a portfolio of countries.
The full-time position is based in Washington DC with up to 20% travel and reports to the Technical Advisor.
- Assist the Technical Advisor with the provision of technical support to country offices in the execution of a large malaria service delivery contract.
- Provide in-country technical assistance on program design and troubleshooting (either directly or by working with internal and external resources)
- Use project and non-project data to execute analyses that produce insights which form the evidence base upon which future programming is planned
- Assist with the coordination of technical assistance from sub-contractors to achieve workplan deliverables
- Monitor country workplan activities, ensuring timely completion of activities against workplan deadlines.
- Contribute to the development of quarterly/ annual programmatic reports and weekly progress updates for your portfolio of countries.
- Contribute to the production and dissemination of knowledge products and processes such as literature reviews, case studies, and blog posts for national and international audiences to accelerate rapid transfer of best practices.
- Manage technical updates to project website, coordinate learning dissemination events and manage social media accounts for the project
What are we looking for?
The candidate we hire will embody PSI’s corporate values:
Collaboration: You can work independently, but thrive within a team.
Trust: You trust that your manager and team will have your back and care deeply about gaining that same trust from your teammates
Pragmatism: You dive in and maintain momentum even when things are ambiguous and you don’t let perfect get in the way of good enough.
Honesty: You aren’t afraid to speak up and speak your mind.
Measurement: You set clear and challenging goals and hold yourself accountable to driving measurable results.
Commitment: You’re independent and a free thinker, but you’re ready to buy in to the direction of the team and commit to its success.
- Bachelors degree required. Relevant post-graduate degree (MPH, MBA, MSc, ME, etc.) or equivalent strongly preferred.
- Demonstrating Results: You have 3+ years track record demonstrating the generation of tangible results in a developing country.
- A malariaologist: You will have demonstrated knowledge on malaria control and/or elimination
- A data analyst: You believe the power of data and know how to work with it to help your team make evidenced-based decisions
- Forging Partnerships: You can coordinate and work effectively with diverse stakeholders in numerous locations and levels, including private partners, donors, government officials and bodies, technical experts, civil society organizations, community members and organizations and project support staff.
- Curious: You are an information sponge and understand what worked yesterday may not necessarily work today (or tomorrow), that each context is different.
- Simplify: You quickly distil complexity to essential and simple concepts and approaches.
- Must be authorized to work in the United States. N.B. PSI will not consider work visa sponsorship for this position.
- Referencess will be required.
- The successful candidate will be required to pass a background check.
What would get us excited?
- Sound technical knowledge of malaria case management and drug-based malaria intervention policy and context
- Field experience working with or delivering malaria case management activities or drug-based interventions in a control or elimination setting
- Demonstrated experience working with statistical packages (Stata, SPSS, R, etc…) and geospatial analysis tools (ArcGIS, QGIS, R etc…)
- Knowledge of the global malaria partnership landscape and familiarity with the international donor community
- Experience working with USAID preferred
- Strong writing and presentation skills
- Fluency in written and spoken English; French preferred.
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.