IFC, a member of the World Bank Group, is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. Working with 2,000 businesses worldwide, we use our six decades of experience to create opportunity where it’s needed most. In FY16, our long-term investments in developing countries rose to nearly $19 billion including nearly $8 billion mobilized from other investors. Our comprehensive approach helped businesses innovate, build internationally competitive industrial sectors, and create better jobs. For more information, visit http://www.ifc.org.
The Manufacturing, Agribusiness and Services (MAS) Department provides equity and loan financing to projects in the following sectors: construction materials, retail, tourism, and property, chemicals, life sciences, forestry, energy efficient machinery, health, education and agribusiness. We offer an integrated approach that combines financing based on prudent commercial principles with industry expertise and assistance in maximizing projects’ social benefits while minimizing environmental footprints.
MAS EMENA department is seeking to recruit an Associate/Investment Officer to work in IFC’s Karachi office. The position will focus on portfolio supervision and sourcing and executing investment transactions across the region.
Note: If the selected candidate is a current Bank Group staff member with a Regular or Open-Ended appointment, s/he will retain his/her Regular or Open-Ended appointment. All others will be offered a 3 year term appointment.Background / General description
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Monitor clients’ compliance with the terms of investment agreements, prepare timely supervision reports, identify early warning signs, and, when necessary, formulate/implement strategies for work-outs, restructurings, reschedulings, capital increases, equity sales, etc..
• Work closely with IFC’s specialists to manage environmental, social, technical, legal, insurance, corporate governance, and other risks in projects and champion IFC’s sustainability offerings to clients.
• Identify and evaluate opportunities to increase the social development impact of new or portfolio projects.
• Work with senior staff to develop a strong pipeline of good quality investment opportunities;
• Assist in evaluating, structuring, negotiating, and closing new debt and equity transactions;
• Develop innovative and appropriate financial structures for straightforward transactions;
• Provide high quality client service throughout the project cycle from transaction sourcing and processing to portfolio supervision.DRDuties and Accountabilities
• MBA or equivalent degree with 5-8 years of relevant professional experience in investment/corporate banking, project finance, and/or equity investing.
• Thorough understanding of economic and commercial trends, investment environment, and key private sector players in Pakistan.
• Strong analytical and financial structuring skills (including financial modeling experience) and sound business judgment.
• Appreciation of legal, technical, environmental, social, and other considerations in project and corporate finance investment and portfolio supervision.
• Fluent in English with excellent written and verbal communication skills. Working knowledge of Arabic is desirable.
• Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in culturally diverse and geographically dispersed teams.
• Proactive, self-motivated, and well-organized.
• Ability to work well under time pressures.
• Wiling to extensively travel.
Note: IFC’s Recruitment and Employment Policies reflect its strong values for cultural, racial and gender diversity. Women are strongly encouraged to apply. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.SCSelection Criteria