The International Finance Corporation (IFC), the private sector arm of the World Bank Group, is a global investor and advisor committed to promoting projects in its developing member countries that are economically beneficial, financially and commercially sound, and environmentally and socially sustainable. IFC finances private sector investments, mobilizes capital in the international financial markets, helps clients improve social and environmental sustainability, and provides technical assistance and advice to governments and businesses in the developing world.
IFC Investment Officers (IOs) are an integral part of multidisciplinary teams of highly qualified professionals who have expertise in the regions and/or sectors in which we do business. Project teams consist of lawyers, environmental and social specialists, and economists, as well as technical specialists. IOs work directly with their clients and international and local sponsors.
The IFC Maputo office covers IFC’s investment and advisory services activities in the Lusophone and Southern Africa Sub-region which includes Angola, Malawi, Mozambique, and Zambia. The prospects are very good for continued strong growth in both investment and advisory activities in the Sub-region. The Associate Investment Officer will be working across industries, with a focus on General Manufacturing, Agribusiness and Services. S/he will identify business opportunities, assist in the execution of transactions and actively manage portfolio projects. The overall goal of the job holder is to maximize the impact of IFC’s interventions and to contribute to the regional and sector/industry development in our countries of operation by developing and executing innovative, developmental, and profitable investments for IFC. The position is located in Maputo, Mozambique and involves frequent regional and some international travel.
Note: If the selected candidate is a current Bank Group staff member with a Regular or Open-Ended appointment, s/he will retain his/her Regular or Open-Ended appointment. All others will be offered a 3 year term appointment.Background / General description
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Assist in evaluating, structuring, negotiating, and closing new transactions, portfolio restructurings, rescheduling, capital increases, equity sales, etc.
• Develop innovative and appropriate financial structures for straightforward transactions.
• Participate or lead negotiations as appropriate; use financial competences and personal influencing skills to overcome impasses and
lead negotiations to a successful outcome.
• Work with senior staff to develop a strong pipeline of good quality investment opportunities.
• Build and maintain strong relationships with clients, global and regional private businesses, banking and multilateral partners and government officials to further develop the sector and to develop specific investment opportunities.
• Coordinate closely with social, environmental, and technical assistance colleagues in order to add value to our clients’ businesses, find pragmatic solutions to the specific sector challenges, and achieve sustainable development impact.
• Identify and evaluate opportunities to increase the social development impact of new or portfolio projects.DRDuties and Accountabilities
• MBA or equivalent qualification.
• 5+ years’ experience in finance with a proven track-record of sourcing, structuring and closing investments.
• Strong financial and credit skills; demonstrated ability to structure a variety of financial instruments (debt and equity).
• Demonstrated knowledge of industries, industry trends and opportunities in the sub-region countries, and understanding of local issues.
• Business development and client relationship skills, track record and ability to focus on clients needs effectively.
• Ability to interact directly and independently with the management of potential clients, of financial and technical partners as well as government officials.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills in both English and Portuguese are essential. Fluency in other languages a plus.
• Strong inter-personal skills, ability to interact effectively with clients and colleagues from various cultural backgrounds.
• Ability to mentor junior investment staff.
• Genuine commitment to sustainable development and to highest ethical standards.
• Willingness to travel extensively.
Note: Applications without a cover letter will not be considered. IFC’s Recruitment and Employment Policies reflect its strong values for cultural, racial and gender diversity. Women and minorities are strongly encouraged to apply. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.SCSelection Criteria