Close relatives1 of ADB staff, except spouses of international staff, are not eligible for recruitment and appointment to staff positions. Applicants are expected to disclose if they have any relative/s by consanguinity/blood, by adoption and/or by affinity/marriage presently employed in ADB.
1 Close relatives refer to spouse, children, mother, father, brother and sister, niece, nephew, aunt and uncle.
Staff on probation are not eligible to apply. Applicants for promotion must have served at their position for at least one year and must have normally served at their personal level for at least two years immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date. Applicants for lateral transfer must have served at their position and personal level for at least one year immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date (reference A.O. 2.03, paragraphs 5.8 and 5.9).
In the event that the staff appointed to a new category (i.e., from AS to NS, or from NS to IS) is rated at 2 or lower in the first two performance reviews after appointment at the new level, they will return to the level occupied immediately prior to their appointment in the new category.
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 member countries.
The position is assigned in the Technical Assistance Section of the Loan Administration Division (CTLA-TA) within the Controller’s Department. Controller’s Department helps maintain adequate and sound internal control of processes in ADB and provides quality services to clients while maintaining sound fiduciary controls. CTLA-TA is responsible for technical assistance fiduciary control and disbursement arrangements, and related matters from project preparation to implementation.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The Associate Financial Control Officer will coordinate and supervise the activities for the overall Technical Assistance (TA) grant projects related fiduciary and internal financial control compliance; disbursement processing; and reporting and administrative matters in a specialized work area within ADB and ensuring the work programs and assignments are accomplished timely, effectively, and efficiently. The incumbent will report to the designated International Staff.
- Supports the processing of claims under ADB technical assistance (TA) or cofinanced technical assistance grant projects by reviewing claims, ascertaining eligibility of expenditures, verifying completeness and correctness of documentation and accuracy of computation, to ensure conformity of applications with contract provisions and related TA agreements, and with prescribed ADB regulations, procedures, and guidelines.
- Reviews and approves payment of claims below authorized threshold amount; ensures accuracy of payment instructions, availability of budget allocations, and compliance with provisions of TA financial covenants, relevant ADB administrative orders, circulars, and established policies and procedures.
- Contributes to efficient discharge of TA disbursement function and facilitates TA project implementation by reviewing and commenting on draft TA paper and agreements, undertaking research and analysis and attending meetings on specific/problematic TA disbursement issues, providing training to Technical Assistance Supervising Units (TASU), executing agencies (EAs) and Resident Mission (RM) staff on TA disbursement policies and guidelines and acting as Resource Speaker during TA disbursement seminars.
- Contributes to various innovations and business process improvement initiatives, including IT systems development/upgrade and revisions in disbursement policies and guidelines.
- Supports the supervision of administrative and agency staff, providing guidance to ensure uniform, consistent, and timely recording and disbursement of claims in compliance with applicable policies and practices and generally accepted accounting principles. Monitors and reviews analysis and reconciliations of assigned TA advance and Resident mission suspense accounts and reviews and approves vouchers under specific authority. Provides inputs to staff interim and year-end performance evaluations, as may be requested, for assigned Administrative Staff and agency staff.
- Performs other tasks as required, including preparation of external correspondence for review and approval by the International Staff.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Commerce, or Finance; and has Certified Public Accountant (CPA) qualification.
- At least 6 years combined work experiences in TA/grants/loan disbursements, or related work experience in accounting or auditing with supervisory/coaching/mentoring experience.
- Proficiency in large enterprise systems implementation experience.
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of multilateral bank operations, administrative and disbursement policies, and procedures.
- Working knowledge of international banking transactions.
- Ability to support International Staff to supervise, guide and mentor Administrative Staff to facilitate work planning, delivery, and quality review.
- Excellent command of oral and written communication skills in English
- Ability to work collaboratively with teams as a constructive team member.
- Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for National Staff Level 1.
The selected candidate, if new to ADB, is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
This vacancy is a local staff position. It is open only to nationals and residents of the Philippines.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.