Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 67 members, 48 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB’s mission is to reduce poverty and promote sustainable economic growth in the region. ADB’s main instruments for helping its developing member countries are policy dialogue, loans, equity investments, guarantees, grants, and technical assistance.
ADB only hires nationals of its 67 member countries.
The position is assigned in the Technical Assistance Section of Loan Administration Division (CTLA-TA) within the Controller’s Department. Controller’s Department help maintains adequate and sound internal control of processes in ADB, and committed to provide quality services to clients while maintaining sound fiduciary controls. CTLA-TA is responsible for technical assistance fiduciary control and disbursement arrangements, and related matters from project preparation to implementation.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The Associate Financial Control Officer will assist the overall administrative, reporting and processing activities under the general guidance of an International Staff supervisor in a specialized work area within ADB, ensuring that work objectives are accomplished in a timely and effective manner. The incumbent will report to designted International Staff and senior National Staff.
Under the guidance of a senior staff, contributes independently to the work unit by completing a variety of tasks assigned, covering all or a combination of the following functions:
- Assists in the processing of claims under technical assistance grants by reviewing withdrawal applications and claims, ascertaining eligibility of expenditures, verifying completeness and correctness of documentation and accuracy of computation, to ensure conformity of applications with contract provisions and related technical assistance agreements, and with prescribed ADB regulations, procedures and guidelines.
- Reviews and authorizes payment of claims up to a specified limit per voucher/transaction; ensures accuracy of payment instructions, availability of budget allocations, and compliance with provisions of technical assistance financial covenants, relevant ADB administrative orders, circulars, and established policies and procedures.
- Coordinates, facilitates and provides required information to internal and external stakeholders in accordance with established procedures, in a tactful manner.
- Performs administrative functions; provides training, briefing and orientation to all new staff, visiting staff from the resident missions (RMs) on Division’s business process and IT systems’ procedures, etc. Documents and assists in the issuance of staff instructions on procedures and systems for disbursement/accounting processing and control procedures.
- Participates in procedural and organizational review to improve the Division’s internal control and efficiency and makes recommendations as appropriate; participates in the formulation of the Section’s goals and objectives and the related plans and programs.
- Performs other tasks as required, including preparation of external correspondence for review and approval by the IS. Provides information requested by various project external auditors based on established guidelines and procedures.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, business administration, commerce or finance with Certified Public Accountant (CPA); preferably with advanced training.
- Minimum of 6 years combined work experience in technical assistance/grant/loan disbursements, or related work experience in accounting or auditing.
- Large enterprise systems implementation experience is preferable. Else should have good exposure to such systems.
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of ADB’s operations, administrative and disbursement policies and procedures.
- Working knowledge of international banking transactions, particularly relating to letters of credit transactions.
- Ability to guide Administrative Staff (AS) to facilitate work planning, delivery and quality review.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English is required.
- Able to work collaboratively with teams as a constructive team member.
- Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for National Staff level 1.
The selected candidate is appointed for an initial term of three years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.