To ensure compliance of loan and technical assistance(TA) projects to the ADB Safeguard Policy Statement (SPS) and mandatory climate change requirements and provide overall support on environment safeguards and climate change including knowledge generation and dissemination.
Under the guidance of a senior staff, contributes independently by completing a variety of tasks assigned, covering all or a combination of the following functions:
Safeguard Policy Compliance Review and Monitoring
Review and finalize environmental assessment reports such as Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA), Initial Environmental Examination (IEE), Environmental Assessment and Review Frameworks (EARF), Environmental Due Diligence (EDD) reports as required for projects being processed and ensure they comply with ADB’s SPS. Coordinate and communicate with consultants preparing the reports to ensure adequate field data and analysis is carried out to meet the SPS requirements.
Fulfill environment safeguard related tasks required at various stages of the project processing cycle such as environment categorization, preparation of environmental assessment reports (as stated above) and environment safeguard sections for documents such as report and recommendation of the President (RRP), project/facility administration manual (PAM/FAM),, TA paper in a timely manner required for the successful approval of new projects. Conduct consultation missions and visit project sites to verify the accuracy of the environmental assessments and agree on implementation arrangements with government counterparts. Conduct environmental peer review meeting within ADB for environment category A projects. Consult with and seek guidance from ADB internal reviewers such as South Asia Office of the Director General (SAOD), the Sustainable Development Environment and Social Division (SDES) as necessary.
Review implementation of environment safeguards in accordance with the SPS for projects under implementation by: participating in review missions; visiting the project sites; discussing with the executing agencies, consultants and affected groups; providing inputs to the mission back-to-office report (BTOR); review and disclosure of periodic environmental monitoring reports as required.
Prepare TOR’s for environment safeguard consultants engaged for conducting environmental assessments and environmental monitoring. Supervise the consultant’s work and ensure required outputs are delivered in a timely manner. Manage the consultant’s contracts including issuance of variation, approving claims etc.
Climate Change Impact Assessment
Fulfill climate change related tasks required at various stages of the project processing cycle such as climate risk screening and categorization, preparation of climate risk and vulnerability assessment (CRVA) if necessary, estimation of climate adaptation costs, estimation of greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions or savings if necessary. Prepare climate change inputs for the RRP, PAM/FAM, EARF, TA paper and loan agreement as necessary.
Ensure estimation of climate adaptation costs and GHG emissions or savings are in accordance with relevant ADB guidelines. Consult with and seek guidance from ADB internal reviewers such as SAOD, Climate Change and Disaster Risk Management Division (SDCD) and others as necessary.
Prepare TOR’s for climate change consultants engaged for conducting CRVA. Supervise the consultant’s work and ensure required outputs are delivered in a timely manner. Manage the consultant’s contracts including issuance of variation, approving claims etc.
General support on Environment Safeguards and Climate Change
Contribute to compilation of environment safeguards and climate change related data/information for the division. Prepare or contribute to the preparation of knowledge products on environment safeguards and climate change. Participate in internal or external meetings/seminars/workshops and share information on environment safeguards and climate change on behalf of the division. Coordinate with and support the International Environment Specialist as required.
Performs other duties as may be assigned and reflected in the incumbent’s work plan.
Application of Technical Knowledge and Skills
- Applies updated advancements in own knowledge area to relevant tasks
- Applies knowledge and practical skills to independently perform some complex tasks
- Conveys the need to use updated project approaches
- Delivers Divisional contributions across a variety of products and services to meet the needs of different clients
- Proposes options to clients that may better meet their needs than current approaches
- Defines and delivers to agreed standards with clients
Achieving Results and Problem Solving
- Conducts detailed research and analysis to determine appropriate methods for addressing the causes of issues
- Self-monitors achievement of results according to work plans
- Identifies different stakeholder needs and desired outcomes when planning for outcomes
- Independently solves problems and makes recommendations
- Maintains collaborative relationships within the Department
- Works effectively with diverse colleagues in own and other Divisions and Departments
- Flexibly alters positions and adjusts previously stated points of view to support the group consensus
- Follows through on team priorities in the absence of a team leader
Communication and Knowledge Sharing
- Checks with audience’s level of understanding and awareness of required follow up actions
- Consistently seeks and addresses feedback on own performance
- Creates knowledge products endorsed for wider distribution
- Independently amends and clarifies messages and documents
Innovation and Change
- Actively supports work improvement and/or organizational change by work and deed
- Develops and adopts change plans to support Division initiatives on which one works
- Considers current and future client needs in proposing ideas
- Vocalizes early support for change
- Recommends inputs to new policies, systems and processes in immediate work area
- Bachelor’s degree in the field of environmental planning and management or environmental engineering, environmental economics, or related field; preferably with advanced training
- At least 6 years work experience in climate change and the environment or related field.
- Familiar with ADB’s Environment Policy and developing member countries’ environmental legislation and regulations.
- Proficient in the field of climate change, environmental planning and management, including environmental assessment, pollution prevention strategies, and other related tools/strategies.
- Aptitude to perform analytical and conceptual thinking.
- Proficiency in ADB-adopted computer applications.
- Effective report-writing and communication skills in English
People and leadership skills
- Superior client orientation, interpersonal and diplomatic skills and teamwork and ability to develop rapport internally and externally in a multicultural environment.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Supervisor: Designated International Staff and senior National Staff
We encourage diversity in our workplace and promote an inclusive work environment.