Position Title: Associate Director of IT
Department: Strategic Information and Systems
Location: Boston (25% travel)
The Associate Director of IT is a hands-on technical leadership position to empower and guide the Infrastructure team to perform day-to-day and strategic tasks efficiently. It is a pivotal role that involves cross-functional collaboration across many PIH teams to ensure successful buildout, operation and support of development and production service environments. The ideal candidate for this role will have a deep understanding of data center management, compute, storage and virtualization technologies, systems administration including Microsoft Azure and Office 365 management, desktop support, strong analytical and troubleshooting skills, familiarity with healthcare technology, excellent automation skills, and proven communication skills.
- Team and Project Management (20%): Help build a team and manage staff, define team structure and responsibilities, train team members, manage workloads and interactions with other departments and teams, responsible for delivering on the team’s overall goals. Prioritize, plan and manage infrastructure projects.
- Strategy (20%): Help drive and manage PIH’s overall strategy around information and systems, contribute to the achievement of PIH’s longer term vision of unifying global information and systems efforts. Build relationships and collaborate with other SIS teams; networking, analytics, system design, implementation and development to ensure timely completion of relevant projects and development of the overall SIS roadmap.
- IT Resource Capacity Planning (20%): Monitor the existing server and network user loads to ensure that there are sufficient resources available to serve the needs of the PIH users; network bandwidth, disk space on file servers, available network addresses for wireless devices to connect, load-balanced servers are working properly to protect against an outage, monitor power loads on backup UPS batteries. Plan and implement changes to ensure that these resources grow as PIH’s IT demands grow so that user requests for services do not exceed IT supply. Create plans to increase services in a transparent fashion
- IT Architecture Design and Planning (20%): Lead the infrastructure team responsible for design, deployment, scale-out and support of compute, storage and virtualization infrastructure in global locations (both lab and production) in on-premise, private (co-lo) and public clouds (Azure). Utilize expertise and experience to develop creative and effective ideas for expanding IT service delivery, ways to increase productivity or lower costs such as remote management of network equipment, saving travel times. Help to architect a unified IT infrastructure across all sites to share resources and limit exposure to risk and cost overruns.
- Server Management (10%): Server management consists of functions including, but not limited to, backing up and restoring data, reviewing server event logs and proactively addressing issues, creating administrative scripts, creating and managing users and security groups, managing the Windows domain, managing network printers, monitoring security events, monitoring server performance, applying security patches, resetting user passwords, setting and enforcing password policies, safeguarding our systems from unauthorized access, accidental destruction of data or unscheduled downtime.
- Network Management (10%): Network management consists of functions including, but not limited to, monitoring computer addresses to ensure that all devices connecting to the network are able, reviewing logs for wired and wireless network to ensure availability of services, monitoring firewall for unauthorized access, setup and maintain VPN connections for users and between sites, preconfigure network equipment for zero-touch deployment at sites outside of Boston, identify bandwidth hogs and address to ensure availability of bandwidth for all users, configure, monitor and manage DNS and DHCP services, which are essential services for computer network communications, monitor for viruses and zero-day exploits and contain them if located.
The Employer retains the right to change or assign other duties to this position.
- BS/BA in computer science, engineering or relevant field, Work Experience in related field in lieu of BS/BS in computer science
- 10+ years proven leadership experience in information technology
- Sound understanding of computer systems (hardware/software), Azure, Office 365, SaaS, etc.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent organizational and leadership skills
- International travel required (up to 25%)
- Able to lift equipment up to 40lbs
- Interest in social justice strongly desirable
- Cover Letter and Resume required
Partners In Health (PIH) is an international health organization relentlessly committed to improving the health of the poor and marginalized. PIH partners with local governments to build local capacity and works closely with impoverished communities to deliver high-quality health care, address the root causes of illness, train providers, advance research, and advocate for global policy change.
PIH currently has implementation programs in Haiti, Rwanda, Lesotho, Liberia, Malawi, Peru, Mexico, Russia, Sierra Leone and Navajo Nation. Through our partnership with Harvard Medical School and the Brigham and Women’s Hospital, we support a wide range of programs in dozens of other countries around the world.
Partners In Health (PIH) is committed to the fundamental principle of equal opportunity and equal treatment for every prospective and current employee. It is the policy of PIH not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, age, religion, creed, disability, sex and gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law. PIH works in and with a number of governments in and outside the U.S., and to the extent applicable, this statement is intended to incorporate the prohibition of any unlawful discrimination covered by applicable laws in such countries, states and municipalities