Key Relationships: City of Madison Officials; Finance &Accounting; Supportive Service Partner; Fundamentally responsible for the overall property management duties for the Tree Lane Apartments
Summary: The Associate Area Manager is responsible for operational activities and management of properties in Madison, WI. Focal points of this position include occupancy, rent collection, completion of work orders, office management, resident services, relations in the property, overall supervision of site based staff, and community stakeholder relations. The Associate Area Manager will work with staff at multiple properties and may need to respond to urgent issues outside of normally scheduled hours. This position is the first point of contact for emergencies in Madison properties. Individual accountabilities and work volume will be established through the development of annual Success Objectives, within the framework outlined below.
* This position requires a criminal background check to be conducted as part of the pre-hire process.
Duties and Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
Ensure properties are maintained in good operational condition
Work with site management team to ensure systems are properly maintained and tenant’s needs are addressed in a timely manner
Oversee property related service contracts and building staff (landscaping, janitorial, site management)
Where required, represent Heartland Housing when interfacing with city officials, supportive service partners, and the Madison Continuum of Care on Housing First policies.
Responsible for assuring that capital projects are completed on time and within budget in cooperation with the facilities manager and/or third parties
Maximize the value of the assigned properties by finding methods to reduce costs and increase efficiencies of building systems and services.
Responsible for assessing, developing and implementing short term, intermediate and long term strategies which enhance value.
Responsible for ensuring that property specific compliance requirements are completed including requirements of the Community Development Authority, Dane County Housing Authority, the Wisconsin Housing Economic Development Authority, as well as any other investor requirements
Tenant & Customer Relations
Act as primary point of contact for tenants from lease execution to lease expiration
Provide new tenant orientation and ongoing enforcement of lease terms
- Conducts leasing interviews, inspections, processes resident vacancies and computes initial and interim rentals.
- Sign leases, tenant occupancy agreements, tenant-related subsidy documents, and monthly vouchers, excluding contracts for service to the property.
- Responds to inquiries about properties and vacancies and conducts tours of the housing development(s).
Work with supportive service provider to assess tenant related issues, and formulate action plan to ensure tenant’s success.
Physical Site Management:
Coordinates and oversees preparation and inspection of unit vacancies for leasing with minimal time of turn-over
Effectively market the property to ensure compliance and a positive community image.
Oversees maintenance issues by making periodic inspections of the development; reviews maintenance reports and spot checks work; encourages resident input on maintenance needs and improvements; distributes work assignments to maintenance personnel; investigates complaints on maintenance work, and records monthly maintenance repairs.
Monitor staff and vendor compliance with OSHA standards and follow organization protocols for reporting work site exposures.
- Makes recommendations to supervisor on potential operational issues and areas for concern
Prepare property business plan/budget and work with senior management to reforecast R&M and capital expenses as necessary
Provide monthly reporting to senior management regarding building operations and financial activity
Complete annual property expense estimate and reconciliation process for assigned properties
Monitor and Manage AR/AP for the assigned property
Ensure tenant and emergency contact lists are current for assigned properties
Implement emergency response plan at assigned property
Identify and address any life safety issues
Ensure documents are properly maintained on the Shared Drive and in tenant files
Complete property inspection reports
Complete tenant move-in and move-out documentation
Coordinate tenant related services with site management team
Serve in leadership and supervisory capacity
May supervise other PMs in the region as office requires
Facilitate effective communication skills and direction
Provide direction and support to subordinates
Establish positive relationships with subordinates and other departments
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Seven (7) years of property management experience required – Supportive Housing/Housing First experience preferred
- Four-year college degree preferred
- Industry association designation preferred, Tax Credit Specialist, Certified Occupancy Specialist, etc.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, especially Excel and Word
- Working knowledge of Yardi preferred
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Strong financial/accounting skills
- Strong lease administration knowledge/experience inclusive of commercial leases
- Demonstrated knowledge of mechanical and building systems
- Demonstrated history of community and stakeholder engagement, including government officials and community-based organizations
- Demonstrated history of cultural competency and ability to interact respectfully with diverse populations
- Ability to adapt to changing priorities
- Ability to supervise, direct, and mentor subordinates
- Ability to lead collaboratively with social service partners
- Strong analytical and effective problem solving skills
- Ability to work independently and effectively manage multiple tasks
- The position will be in a general office within a multi-family housing setting and may require travel based on organizational/business needs.