International Business & Technical Consultants, Inc. (IBTCI), a U.S. based international development consulting company established in 1987, has worked in over one hundred countries and implemented over three hundred projects. IBTCI serves government agencies, private sector companies and several donor agencies. IBTCI specializes in Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) across many sectors including, but not limited to, conflict and crisis, democracy and governance, economic growth, education, environment, and global health.
Job Title: Assistant Controller
Reports To: Controller
Type: Regular Full-Time
Classification: This is a managerial, exempt-level position
Overview: IBTCI is currently seeking an Assistant Controller. The successful candidate will oversee all payroll, accounts payable and general accounting functions and supervise the home office accounting staff.
Essential Duties/Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Manage and ensure timely, accurate and compliant bi-weekly company payroll processing.
- Ensure compliant payroll tax accounting at federal, state and local levels including expatriate employees.
- Oversee payroll related G/L reconciliation process (Accrued Salaries, Payroll Taxes, Benefits, 401K, 941).
- Manage time keeping function using Deltek Time Entry System.
- Develop and maintain time keeping related procedures and provide training for new employees and refresher training for existing employees.
- Perform Quarterly Utilization reporting and analysis.
- Manage accounts payable workflow processes so that invoices are properly received, recorded, routed for approval and paid in a timely manner.
- Maintain policies and procedures to facilitate proper internal control over cash disbursements.
- Oversee SAP Concur system procedures for processing employee and consultant expense reports.
- Supervise the proper vendor set-up including year-end 1099 filing process.
- Ensure proper accounting, tracking and timely processing of travel advances and monthly corporate credit card expenses.
- Manage monthly and annual close process.
- Maintain general ledger account responsibility listing and review all GL account reconciliations on a quarterly basis.
- Review Quarterly GSA activity and ensure IFF and CAF payments are made timely.
- Manage the general journal entry process and ensure proper documentation, filing and recording of entries.
- Supervise the cash receipts function to ensure timely documentation and entry of daily cash receipts including miscellaneous deposits.
- Manage accounting for leases, fixed assets, prepaid expenses, other assets and other liabilities.
- Supervise home office accounting staff, prepare performance appraisals and provide staff feedback and guidance.
- Monitor and report on department performance metrics.
- Document and maintain written accounting procedures.
- Develop and provide new employee orientation training.
- Participate in billing activities as assigned.
- Coordinate and participate in audits as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- CPA certification preferred.
- Cognos report writer experience.
- Project accounting and set-up experience.
- Budgeting and financial reporting.
- Demonstrated effective communication skills.
- Observe the highest standards of business ethics and comply with all laws, regulations, and contract requirements that are applicable to the Company’s business.
- 3 years’ experience managing or performing payroll function.
- 5 Years Deltek/Costpoint accounting software experience.
- 5 Years federal contracting experience.
- 4 Years USAID contracts experience.
- 5 Years accounting or finance staff supervision experience.
- Knowledge of US GAAP, Federal Acquisition Regulations and Cost Accounting Standards.
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office products including Excel and Word.
- Prior experience managing monthly close cycle functions.
- Detail-oriented and highly organized.
- At least 6 years of professional work experience in accounting.
- Oral and written fluency in English required.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance or related business discipline, or the equivalent combination of education, professional training or work experience. MBA/Master’s degree preferred.
Working Environment: Work is performed in a corporate office environment.
Physical Requirements: This is largely a sedentary position that requires the ability to speak, hear, see, and lift small objects up to 20 lbs.
Supervisory Responsibility: This position does have supervisory responsibilities.
Travel: International travel may be required and may include travel to fragile and/or conflict-prone zones.
Work Authorization: Candidate must be authorized to work in the U.S.A.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
IBTCI is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity for all persons without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, national origin, disabled veteran or Vietnam-era veteran, or any other classification protected by applicable anti-discrimination laws. We prohibit and do not tolerate any form of discrimination or harassment. VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
If you are an applicant with a disability that requires a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process or are limited in the ability, or unable to use the online application system and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact Human Resources at 703-749-0100.