The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfilment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956, and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
Operating since 2004 in Lebanon, DRC has addressed the needs and rights of vulnerable populations, working initially with Palestinian refugees (since 2004), Iraqi refugees (2007-2010), Lebanese IDPs (during the 2006 conflict), migrant domestic workers (since 2009) and, since 2011, responding to the Syrian refugee crisis.
DRC Lebanon is currently delivering programming in protection, housing, infrastructure, basic assistance, livelihoods, and community development interventions. This myriad programming seeks to address the immediate needs of displaced populations and concurrently support vulnerable host populations. DRC has five offices spread throughout Lebanon in, Beirut, the Bekaa, Saida, Tripoli and Qobayat.
About the job
The Area Programme Manager (APM) is responsible for development and implementation of DRC programmes in the area of implementation (North Lebanon). S/he will ensure Protection, Shelter, Livelihoods and Governance and Community Empowerment programmes are delivered to a high quality in line with DRC, donor and international standards. S/he will ensure good coordination with other actors in the area and between DRC’s programmatic sector teams. S/he is the line manager for Sector Managers and s/he is responsible for ensuring on time accountable delivery and high quality programming.
Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
• Act as the primary DRC programme representative in the Tripoli / T5 area and attend or ensure attendance, as appropriate, at all relevant programmatic coordination fora/meetings
• Foster relationships with Government authorities and other relevant stakeholders in the area of implementation, and act as focal point for Tripoli and T5 municipality relations
• Maintain close working relationships with donors, national and international organizations and local counterparts
• Line manage Sector Managers in both Tripoli and Qobayat ensuring that they have relevant work plans and job descriptions and that performance reviews take place
• Provide leadership, coordination and integration of DRC activities in the area
• Encourage a positive, innovative and mutually supportive team spirit amongst the area team
• Stay abreast of donor strategies and funding opportunities in the area of operation and provide technical and context-specific input for fundraising efforts, in coordination with the Area Manager
• Lead on proposal development in the area of operation, drafting inputs to, or whole proposals, as requested by Head of Programmes
• Lead on programmatic financial planning and budget management; supervise budget management and forecasts of Sector Managers
• Ensure programmes are regularly and comprehensively monitored, and monitoring tools e.g. M&E information management tools are regularly updated. Regularly visit field activities
To be successful in this role we expect you to have 5 years’ management experience, overseeing humanitarian and development of multi-sector, multi-donor programmes in complex environments.
Moreover, we also expect the following:
• University degree in management, internal relations, development studies or other related field
• Proven experience in all aspects of programme management including programme design, planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation
• Practical financial, HR and administration management experience with extensive knowledge of budget development/management and finance documentation; understanding of HR principles and ethics
• Experience of staff management, capacity building and performance development systems
• Excellent report writing skills with an understanding of NGO and donor requirements
• Experience with proposal writing is advantageous
• Experience of working in the Middle East
• Commitment to the values, vision and mission of DRC
• Proficiency in Arabic and English
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values.
Contract length: 6 months
Monthly Basic Salary: 4100 USD
Duty Station: Tripoli
Start date: August 2018
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Nationals; please refer to drc.ngo under Vacancies. For questions regarding the vacancy please contact email@example.com.
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the apply button or go to http://www.drc.ngo under current vacancies.
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email to Dolene Khairallah will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 27 July 2018 and will take on rolling basis
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/jobsupport.
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo.