Save the Children is the world’s leading independent organisation for children. We work in 120 countries. We save children’s lives; we fight for their rights; we help them fulfil their potential.
We work together, with our partners, to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives.
We have over two million supporters worldwide and raised 1.9 billion dollars last year to reach more children than ever before, through programmes in health, nutrition, education, protection and child rights, also in times of humanitarian crises.
Following a major transition, our international programmes are now delivered through a merged operation with c15,000 staff, managed through seven regional hubs and reporting to a relatively small, central office. We’re changing to become more efficient, more aligned, a better partner, a stronger advocate, a magnet for world-class people and relevant for the 21st century.
Contract length: 12 Months
To provide effective programme management oversight of implementation of Save the Children Yemen’s programme plans in the south as well as firmly institute finance, human resources and operations systems and ensure effective representation of Save the Children to level authorities, INGOs and NGOS, and visiting donors. The post holder will be a high performing team builder, sensitive to the cultural, political and security environment of Yemen and will lead and manage staff across three field offices, covering programmes in Child Protection, Child Rights Governance, Health & Nutrition, Education, Water/Sanitation and Food Security & Livelihoods projects in the Southern part of the country.
The Area Manager – South is responsible for identifying needs and resources and elaborating program recommendations for all emergency and development programs in line with Save the Children national and global priorities. This post is initially for a period of one year with possibility of extension.
Qualifications and experience
- At least 3 years/substantial experience working with a humanitarian/ development organisation
- Skills and experience in project/programme implementation, monitoring, review and evaluation preferably from a child rights approach in accordance with the CRC and international humanitarian rights standards.
- Substantial people and programme management experience with good interpersonal skills and ability to communicate at all levels.
- Solid experience in grant management, including budget holding and donor reporting.
- Substantial understanding or proven experience of security management issues.
- Ability to produce high quality reports in English
- Representational and political awareness skills.
- Ability to work with limited supervision from line manager.
- Experience of working with partners and a participatory approach.
- Fluency in written and spoken English and computer literate.
- Commitment to and understanding of Save the Children’s aims, values and principles.
- Experience and/or an interest in working in Middle East and Northern African region.
- Ability to communicate in Arabic.
Applications will be review as they are received, therefore we encourage interested candidates to act fast
We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Please apply in English using your CV and covering letter as a single document, including your salary expectations for this role.