With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share our Core Values of Respect, Results, Innovation, Optimism, and Integrity, and support our Commitment to Diversity.
The 2020s are the defining decade to transform business as usual into business for good. The products we buy every day—from the food we eat to the beauty products we use—are an integral part of the global economy, but their production creates major climate, water, and health impacts throughout the supply chain. For instance, it is estimated that 62% of chemicals in consumer products are hazardous to humans and the environment; many such chemicals have been linked to serious disorders and diseases such as cancer, infertility, and asthma. The goal of the EDF+Business Safe & Healthy Products team is to eliminate toxic chemicals from food and consumer products. We work towards our goal through high-impact partnerships with major companies such as Walmart and Gerber; bipartisan policy advocacy; and smart communications strategies to disseminate best practices. For more information, including examples of past and current partnerships, visit http://business.edf.org.
The Analyst will help the Safe & Healthy Products team speed transformation to a safer marketplace, with a focus on safer food and personal care products. Reporting to the Director, EDF+Business of Safe & Healthy Products, the Analyst will play an integral role in the team’s mission to make everyday products safer and more sustainable via scientific and market research and analysis; relationship cultivation with key companies; and promotion of best practices.
This position will be located in the EDF+Business division in the EDF Washington D.C. office. Initially, due to Covid-19, the position will operate remotely until EDF deems it is safe to return to working in-person.
This position is a one-year fixed term contract position. Upon conclusion of the term, the term may be renewed based on funding and programmatic need.
- Conduct research and data analysis to support the engagement of retailers, product manufacturers, and packaging vendors on safer food packaging and clean circular economy strategies.
- Analyze toxic chemical reductions in consumer product supply chains and the efficacy of corporate sustainability strategies.
- Craft recommendations for key corporate partners to identify hotspot product categories and drive and measure product improvements.
- Support the vetting of verification systems for companies seeking to verify the absence of toxic chemicals in products and packaging.
- Participate in multi-stakeholder collaborations to craft and disseminate best practices for safer supply chains.
- Communicate analyses and recommendations to internal and external stakeholders via presentations, blogs, reports, and other formats including Supply Chain Solutions Center, our primary corporate engagement website.
- Must advance EDF DEIJ goals in which People from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental challenges we face. This includes fostering equitable systems and empowering diverse constituencies both internally and externally.
- Demonstrated interest in environmental and/or public health issues.
- B.S. or M.S. in related technical field (e.g. chemistry, biology, physics, engineering, environmental science, public health, economics).
- At least 3 years professional experience and/or advanced research experience.
- Strong analytical skills and experience performing rigorous analysis.
- Proven experience in project management.
- Creative and innovative thinking, willing to change the status quo and propose new ideas and opportunities.
- Demonstrate cultural awareness and the knowledge, attitude, behavior, and skills that lead to a culturally competent workplace. Must demonstrate a commitment to continued self-assessment, learning and growth to increase and broaden culturally competent skillsets that produce effective interactions with People across diverse cultures and backgrounds. This includes the ability to adapt to cultural change.
- Ability to work both independently and as a member of a small team in a fast-paced, dynamic, and creative environment.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Well organized, motivated and detail oriented.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize and meet deadlines.
- Proficiency in the use of standard business software, including MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
Please attach a letter of interest or cover letter, along with your resume.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant’s qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.