The Business Development (BD) & Pricing Analyst develops budgets and cost proposals for new business across ChildFund’s country offices, ensuring alignment with the technical proposal and budgeting for full cost recovery while also making a strong business case for the value for money offered by ChildFund. The BD & Pricing Analyst will play a key role in the cross-functional effort to improve cost recovery and financial management practices in the organization’s grants portfolio. As a core member of the Global Business Development team, the BD & Pricing Analyst will champion team learning and continuous improvement through gathering information, conducting analyses, and drafting reports and presentations. The BD & Pricing Analyst will have opportunity to contribute to strategic projects and develop new skills through supporting the Director of BD on special projects focused on improving the effectiveness and efficiency of BD operations.
Remain alert and responsive to any child safeguarding risks, acquire relevant knowledge and skills which will enable you to promote strong safeguarding practices, understand the child safeguarding policy and procedures, and conduct yourself in a manner consistent with the Child Safeguarding Policy.
Cost Proposal Development (50%)
Develops budgets and cost proposals for new business across ChildFund’s country offices, ensuring alignment with the technical proposal and budgeting for full cost recovery while also making a strong business case for the value for money offered by ChildFund.
- Review and analyze donor solicitations to understand the terms and conditions and convey any unique or risky contract terms to BD Advisors and other relevant staff. Prepare contractual clarification questions in response to solicitations.
- Create and/or modify budget templates to meet specific requirements of funder solicitations. Ensure that the proposal team is educated on donor requirements for the cost proposals and prepare additional guidance and tools to facilitate cost proposal preparation.
- Collaborate with country finance, program, and technical staff to ensure all activities are included and priced correctly; in line with both internal policies and expectations as well as donor requirements.
- Reviews, edits and finalizes explanatory budget narrative to accompany budget in cost proposal.
- Review cost proposals developed by other cost and pricing staff or regional financial staff to ensure accuracy, completeness, and compliance.
- Prepares justifications and supporting documentation to secure waivers of internal policies where necessary.
- Attends and participates in handover meetings of successful awards.
- Provides training, as needed, on the use of pricing templates and processes, to other ChildFund staff. Reviews project budget modifications and assist with project financial management on an ad hoc basis during non-proposal periods.
Business Development Analytics, Research & Learning (25%)
Gather information, conduct analysis, and draft reports in support of BD team objectives and KPIs.
- Conduct periodic analyses of the effectiveness and efficiency of BD operations, including pipeline management, go/no-go decision-making, after action reviews, and donor debriefs.
- Assist in the development and implementation of business development guidelines, policies, and protocols and support capture of learning from business development processes.
- Prepare regular BD Pipeline and Tracker reports for internal distribution.
- Monitor external trends and work with the Director of BD to develop recommendations for senior leadership and internal thought pieces.
- Support the Business Development Director and External Engagement Senior Director in various ad hoc reporting and presentations using PowerPoint, Excel, Word, and various data visualization tools.
Projects and Cross-Functional Collaboration (25%)
- At the direction of the Director of BD, scope, manage, and/or support a range of special projects focused on improving the effectiveness and efficiency of BD operations.
- Together with Finance, advance efficient and effective budgeting and cost recovery practices through participating in cross-functional working groups, developing specific guidance and tools, and facilitating training. Provide guidance to ChildFund staff about practical strategies for improving cost recovery and the importance of this effort for our work.
- Identify opportunities and recommend changes that will enhance cost recovery for the organization.
- Liaise with Grants Management team to coordinate efforts to improve QA/QC of grants information.
Other duties and tasks as assigned.
- At least 3 years of directly relevant professional work experience required, preferably in a grants- or contracts-funded environment. Expertise in a technical subject directly related to ChildFund’s programming will be considered an asset.
- Demonstrated experience leading development of budgets for complex, competitive bids to USAID, DFID, or other similar donors.
- Demonstrated knowledge of applicable cost principles and regulations for USAID or another USG donor (Agriculture, Labor, State) required. Knowledge of multilateral donor requirements preferred.
- Demonstrated attention to detail and strong quantitative and analytical skills
- Advanced proficiency in MS Excel; proficiency in Word and PowerPoint.
- Excellent organizational skills and proactive working style and attitude. Proven capability to work with peers and superiors to solve problems and meet deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal and written communication skills required. Experience working in cross-cultural settings or teams preferred. Demonstrated ability to articulate information clearly and effectively to decision-makers and other audiences.
- Willingness and ability to travel internationally as required (up to 20%).
- The ideal candidate will exhibit a strong desire to learn and grow, persistence in the face of challenges, and readiness to meet demands of working in a fast-paced professional environment.
- Experience preparing visual or other creative presentations of data for decision-making.
- Spanish or French language proficiency
- Experience developing and facilitating training, especially related to cost proposal preparation or financial management
- Candidate able to be based in Washington, DC
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in business, finance, economics, social sciences, or related field
- Training or certification related to budgeting, financial management, project management in the international development field strongly preferred
ChildFund International is committed to safeguarding the interests, rights, and well-being of children with whom it is in contact and to conducting its programs and operations in a manner that is safe for children.
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
NOTE: All interested applicants must be authorized to work in the U.S. at the time of application.