The European Bank for Reconstruction
and Development (EBRD) was founded in 1991 to create a new post-Cold War era in
central and eastern Europe, furthering progress towards market-oriented
economies and the promotion of private and entrepreneurial initiative. EBRD
helps businesses flourish. Through our financial investments, business services
and involvement in high-level policy dialogue, we’re well-placed to promote
entrepreneurship and change lives.
Support (SBS) helps small and medium-sized businesses to grow and become
genuine catalysts for their local economies by providing access to local and
international experts. Some clients will benefit from investment, but SBS also
strives to create healthier, more innovative and successful businesses. Through
its work to improve the quality and availability of local consultancy services,
SBS aims to leave behind a network of trained, experienced local consultants,
and a thriving community of small and medium-sized businesses willing to pay
Specialist connects clients to local consultants and international advisers
depending on their business needs. They are responsible for managing resulting
advisory projects, ranging from strategy and marketing, organisation and
operations, technology and engineering, quality and financial management to
energy efficiency and environment, through the stages of conception,
implementation, completion and impact evaluation. The Project Specialist
directly contributes to developing and managing the SBS country portfolio of
projects and managing relationships with the clients benefitting from the
This role will be offered as a two year fixed term contract.
Accountabilities & Responsibilities
- Identify and pursue potential clients who meet the qualifying criteria, contributing to SBS and banking business development.
- Proactively diagnose clients business needs on site, identify priority areas for business advice and help them to identify suitably qualified consultants or international industry experts.
- Together with the client and selected consultant, develop the terms of reference and project proposal in line with SBS best practices.
- Apply the grant guidelines in finalising Grant Agreements with clients and assist them in negotiating underlying consultancy contracts with selected consultants or experts.
- Manage project implementation to ensure consultants deliver in accordance with the terms of reference and ensure continued client engagement to the project and prepare relevant reports in line with the project cycle, ensuring necessary supporting documentation is collected.
- Recommend project completion and subsequent disbursement of the grant to the client to the National Programme Manager/ Head of Regional Programme (HRP).
- Evaluate completed projects in accordance with established methodology in order to assess impact and provide analytical input for further analysis.
- Identify new local consultants to recommend to the National Programme Manager for qualification and manage relations with existing consultants and organisations, ensuring a broad pool of expertise is available for SBS projects; Implement annual consultant review and regularly monitor developments in local consultancy market.
- Implement marketing and visibility activities to promote SBS and the funding donor/s in the country. Under the guidance of the National Programme Manager, support the implementation of market development activities aimed to develop local consultancy market or disseminate best practices within sectors.
- Contribute to the development of internal and donor reports in partnership with the SBS HQ team to inform donors on the progress of activities and utilisation of funding.
Knowledge, Skills, Experience & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree (Business, Economics, Finance etc.) and/or equivalent business experience
- Relevant professional experience, preferably from commercial management consultancy, corporates or bank, donor organisation, or international support programme.
- Knowledge of local business environment and consultancy market.
- Knowledge of business advisory services.
- Knowledge of donor funded work, donor organisations and national stakeholders such as regional development agencies, chambers of commerce & industry and other SME support organisations desirable.
- Strong business diagnostics skills, project management and organisational skills.
- Strong numerical and analytical skills, understanding of enterprise financials desirable.
- Effective communication, presentation and negotiation skills and ability to manage relations with clients and consultants.
- Strong writing skills; experience in writing project proposals, terms of references or reports desirable.
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal. Fluency in language of country of operations.
- Computer literate: excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office including Excel and Power Point, ability to learn new systems quickly.
- Business / financial analytical skills, with the ability to interpret accounts, understanding of local accounting principles and practice of company financial analysis.
- Demonstrate a knowledge and understanding of the EBRD mandate, passionate about private sector development.
- Ability to work in multi-cultural environment.
- Multi-tasking, self-initiative.
- Ability to meet deadlines.
Diversity is one of the Banks core values which are at the heart of everything it does. A diverse workforce with the right knowledge and skills enables connection with our clients, brings pioneering ideas, energy and innovation. The EBRD staff is characterised by its rich diversity of nationalities, cultures and opinions and we aim to sustain and build on this strength. As such, the EBRD seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities and works in an inclusive environment. The EBRD encourages all qualified candidates who are nationals of the EBRD member countries to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities.